Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 10:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam7gur View Post
    My example is straight from the law.
    I am sorry but God's commandments are something more than you describe them to be.
    It was God who instructed people to do so.
    Taking something out of context and then trying to apply it to something that God never said to do is unscriptural.

Like I said before using your approach would mean that all Christians should walk around naked for three years like Isaiah did.

Or we could simply make every decision infallibly, including decision whether we are right on understanding passages of scripture simply by drawing lots.

Or as Homesell suggested, we could give God two options that we want and ask Him to tell us which is His choice.

Taking something out of context does not mean that it has God's endorsement.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 10:56 PM
    Tj3,
    I fully understand the point that Adam is trying to make and I agree.
    Fred
    adam7gur Posts: 372, Reputation: 38

May 14, 2009, 11:08 PM

Tom
    Casting of lots is instructed by God and not just something mentioned in Scripture. I do remember not to go beyond Scripture but you seem to ignore Scripture 'cause Scripture is crystal clear about it.Even the goat that was a sin offering was chosen by lots.
    You ask what the law has to do with it?Do you remember that we are talking here about Jews?You can not separate a Jew from the law, everything they do has to be based on the law,and please remember that the law from the beginning to the end of it is Christ!
    If you are in the law you are in Christ,that does not mean the letter of the law but the spirit of the law!Also the gift of the Holy Spirit was not yet given, so I hope now you can see what the law has to do with it.
    As for the number of the apostles, let me ask you this!What about all those anonymous brothers that preached the gospel many years ago,in almost every corner of the world?In China, Africa... How many of them were slaughtered,killed,persecuted in every possible way?
    Aren't they apostles?Do you doubt that many of them at least, were chosen by Jesus?
    I keep telling you,do not judge like men and I will add to that Psalm 82(remember that?)... 'cause you will die like men!

May 14, 2009, 11:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post

Or as Homesell suggested, we could give God two options that we want and ask Him to tell us which is His choice.

Taking something out of context does not mean that it has God's endorsement.
    You know Scripture!It is clear that those two were not just two,but they were with Christ from the day that our Lord was baptized , till the end!
    Just those two,there was no other,that's why there were only two options.
    Can't you see that those two were chosen by Jesus since only those two were with Him all that time?Their lives pointed out at them,their lives in Christ, not the apostles and the apostles could not pretend they were blind!

May 14, 2009, 11:22 PM

One more thing to think about !
    We pray '' give us this day our daily bread ''.
    Who gives us this bread?According to you Tom, not God, unless you tell me that every day Jesus personally knocks on your door and gives you bread.
    You go out and work and earn money to buy bread,even you go to the bakery and buy it yourself, so where is God in all this?
    But still you thank God for this and you know that He gives you this bread!
    That is the spirit of the law against the letter of the law!
    homesell Posts: 244, Reputation: 43

May 15, 2009, 04:15 AM

adam7gur,
    Why do you limit God from the possibility that He did things in his own way, in His own time? Tom and I are saying both ways are possible. Do you think God has to have done it the way you think he did and there is no possibility that He did what we suggest? Or are you denying Paul was MORE directly appointed By Jesus?
    You keep saying directly and then add "through the apostles." Directly is directly. God provides me daily bread but not directly. If Jesus came and handed me a loaf of bread, THAT would be directly. Jesus appointed Paul directly. He did not appoint Matthias directly.
    Acts 13:2 is a perfect example of directly. "While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit SAID, 'set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.'"

May 15, 2009, 04:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by homesell View Post
    adam7gur,
    Why do you limit God from the possibility that He did things in his own way, in His own time? Tom and I are saying both ways are possible. Do you think God has to have done it the way you think he did and there is no possibility that He did what we suggest? or are you denying Paul was MORE directly appointed By Jesus?
    You keep saying directly and then add "through the apostles." Directly is directly. God provides me daily bread but not directly. If Jesus came and handed me a loaf of bread, THAT would be directly. Jesus appointed Paul directly. He did not appoint Matthias directly.
    Acts 13:2 is a perfect example of directly. "While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit SAID, 'set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.'"

4So they, being sent forth by the Holy Ghost, departed unto Seleucia; and from thence they sailed to Cyprus.

Correct me if I am wrong but being sent forth sounds to me like an apostle,'cause that's what the word apostle means.
    So, after Matthias and Paul, we have another challenger..
    Matthias by his life,was directly chosen by Jesus through his desciples.The desciples did not set the rules , but it was Mattias' life that made him one of the two possibilities and because the other possibility had also a life that testified in favor,the desciples could not make that choise, but it was clear that their lives separated them from all the rest.
    If you go to a store where you can only pay by VISA, you automatically don't count on MASTERCARD.Does this make it your choise?
    The rules were not made by the desciples, the rules were made by Jesus Himself because all of His desciples were with Him from the beginning to the end.Paul was nowhere in sight!That made him not an option!Of course Jesus Himself reveals to him and Paul became the person that we so many times remember and thank God for,but that does not make him one of the twelve.
    We are also apostles, we are also sent forth , does this make us one of the twelve?

May 15, 2009, 05:02 AM
    Being sent forth by the holy spirit is what all of us true believers are hence we are all apostles. WE of course are apostles NOT DIRECTLY appointed by Jesus - and neither was Matthias. Paul's claim was to be a special apostle, directly appointed by Jesus. Something that ONLY the other eleven Apostles could claim.
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2009, 06:51 AM
    Tom
    Casting of lots is instructed by God and not just something mentioned in Scripture. I do remember not to go beyond Scripture but you seem to ignore Scripture 'cause Scripture is crystal clear about it.Even the goat that was a sin offering was chosen by lots.
    It was symbolic. It could not take away sins.

Heb 10:4
    4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins.
    NKJV

You ask what the law has to do with it?Do you remember that we are talking here about Jews?You can not separate a Jew from the law, everything they do has to be based on the law,and please remember that the law from the beginning to the end of it is Christ!
    And don't forget that the purpose of the law was to point us to Christ and that those who are in Christ are no longer under the law.

But this has nothing to do with taking a specific ritual intended for specific purpose and then extrapolating it into all areas of life.

As for the number of the apostles, let me ask you this!What about all those anonymous brothers that preached the gospel many years ago,in almost every corner of the world?In China, Africa... How many of them were slaughtered,killed,persecuted in every possible way?
    Aren't they apostles?Do you doubt that many of them at least, were chosen by Jesus?
    Scripture says 12. There are certainly other godly men who have done much for the sake of the gospel, but not everyone is an Apostle. There were 12 according to scripture.

May 15, 2009, 10:34 AM
    [QUOTE=Tj3;1736714]It was symbolic. It could not take away sins.

4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins.
    NKJV

QUOTE]

So you mean that all those OT people had no chance to wash away their sins?
    I suppose then David remained a sinner,Elijah,Isaiah,Daniel,Samuel...
    I also suppose then you call God a liar because He instructed all those people to do so, for their sins!
    Of course the writter of Heb. Means something more than you want to say!

May 15, 2009, 10:37 AM
    [QUOTE=Tj3;1736714]
    And don't forget that the purpose of the law was to point us to Christ and that those who are in Christ are no longer under the law.
    QUOTE]

What is it in Christ that is not in the law?
    Did Christ ever say that we should forget about the law?
    If it is as you mean it then why not just do exactly the opposite of what the law indicates?

May 15, 2009, 10:41 AM
    [QUOTE=Tj3;1736714]
    But this has nothing to do with taking a specific ritual intended for specific purpose and then extrapolating it into all areas of life.QUOTE]

Casting lots was done when people were not sure about God's will and not in every aspect of their lives.
    I am hungry, oh what should I do ? Let's cast some lots!!
    It was a specific ritual that was done whenever people waited for God's choise and the desciples were in that same place!

May 15, 2009, 10:43 AM
    [QUOTE=Tj3;1736714
    Scripture says 12. There are certainly other godly men who have done much for the sake of the gospel, but not everyone is an Apostle. There were 12 according to scripture.[/QUOTE]

Where does Scripture say that there will only be twelve throughout the centuries?

May 15, 2009, 10:55 AM
    There are only 12 apostles that have been directly appointed by Jesus. Paul is one of them, Matthias was not.
    There were only 11 apostles that were given the great commission (Matt 16-20) directly by Jesus and Paul claims he was also given the great commission by Jesus directly.
    Again, that makes 12 apostles given the great commission directly from Jesus. Paul was one of them, Matthias was not.
    And thass all I'ma going to say 'bout that.
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2009, 11:11 AM
    It was symbolic. It could not take away sins.

NKJV
    So you mean that all those OT people had no chance to wash away their sins?
    I suppose then David remained a sinner,Elijah,Isaiah,Daniel,Samuel...
    I also suppose then you call God a liar because He instructed all those people to do so, for their sins!
    Of course the writter of Heb. Means something more than you want to say!
    Quite the contrary - scripture is clear that those in the OT were saved through their faith in the coming Messiah and had their sins washed by the blood on the cross. God is outside of time and not limited by our timeline. The rituals and symbolic sacrifices in the OT were prophetic of the coming of Christ.
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2009, 11:15 AM
    What is it in Christ that is not in the law?
    Did Christ ever say that we should forget about the law?
    If it is as you mean it then why not just do exactly the opposite of what the law indicates?
    Please do not put words in my mouth. Scripture is clear that we live b y the spirit not the letter. Jesus gives a explanation of how the spirit and the letter differ in Matthew 5. the fact that we are not under the law does not give us leeway to sin. But likewise, living by the law will not save you. The law only serves the one purpose and that is to show us har much we have missed the mark, and hiow futile it is to try to be saved through the law. Thus it points us to Christ.

Note that scripture also says that if you have failed to live up to even one point of the law, you are guilty of failing to abide by ALL of the law. So trying to do the best you can will not be good enough for your salvation. There is no way to be saved but through Christ and His sacrifice on the cross.
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2009, 11:19 AM
    But this has nothing to do with taking a specific ritual intended for specific purpose and then extrapolating it into all areas of life.
    Casting lots was done when people were not sure about God's will and not in every aspect of their lives.
    I am hungry, oh what should I do ? Let's cast some lots!!
    It was a specific ritual that was done whenever people waited for God's choise and the desciples were in that same place!
    It was not endorsed by God for anything other than the specifics given in scripture. The fact that some people may have gone beyond that does not mean that it was endorsed by God, nor that it was His will or His direction that came of their use of it.

God is not obliged to live by our rules and to do our bidding.
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2009, 11:24 AM
    Where does Scripture say that there will only be twelve throughout the centuries?
    Rev 21:14.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2009, 10:57 PM
    I must agree with Adam.
    What he says makes good common sense and it is back up be Holy Scripture.
    Fred
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2009, 11:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    I must agree with Adam.
    What he says makes good common sense and it is back up be Holy Scripture.
    Fred
    Really Fred - that is interesting. So are you saying that you feel that casting lots is an infallible way to force God to make decisions for you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search