Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vks64 Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Transpose rows into columns in a excel spreadsheet
    Can anyone help
    1) how to transpose the data in rows into columns and columns into rows in a Excel spread sheet?
    2) how to change the numerical order of data in rows/ columns in a Excel spread sheet? i.e.. from the first row to last row and last row to first row ?
    Thank "U'
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Dec 22, 2008, 01:16 AM

1) To convert data in a Column into data in a row, highlight the data in the column, click on COPY (or CUT), the click on the target cell where you want the first cell to be, then click on EDIT > PASTE SPECIAL > [ ] Transpose

2a) First, I would use the TRANSPOSE trick above to temporarily but my column data into rows, then I would use my trick below (2b) to reorder them, then transpose them back to columns.

2b) If I want to invert the order of data in rows, I would add an index column and number them from 1 to "whatever" starting at the BOTTOM. Then select the whole set of data including the new index I've added and SORT by the index.
    kurtwz Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2009, 02:56 PM
    Those would work. I might add one last option, which is to use an array formula to refer to another range of cells for which you want to change directions. This is tricky, but basically here's how you do it:

1) Starting with whichever cell you'd like the results to go in (if data are going DOWN column A and you want them to go ACROSS row 1, start in cell B2, for example). Input "=transpose()" without the quotation marks and with the range of cells between the parentheses.

2) Hit enter. Now you should see a value error.

3) Drag select the range of cells over which you'd like the data to be shown (B1:whatever1) starting with the cell that has the first transpose formula in it.

4) Hit ctrl + shift + enter. It should work by now.

If (when!) you have additional questions/problems, you may want to reference the help file by searching for keyword "transpose" or "array". Microsoft makes useful info available for this topic.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Mar 7, 2009, 06:18 PM

Yes arrays are interesting and useful in small doses like this may be. But arrays are very volatile and affect sheet performance when applied to any meaningfully large dataset... and they easily become unusable at all on large ones.

When a non-array option exists... or you can create one (which is possible all the time)... I recommend using it.

My 3 cents... on a thread 3 months old... one presumes the OP has resolved this and moved on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inserting Multiple Columns in Excel [ 11 Answers ]

I am working on a very large spreadsheet. I am trying to insert additional columns into the worksheet and I keep getting an error message referring me to cell A2. This spreadsheet is very large and to the right of the last column the area is greyed out. When I try to insert columns in front of...

Excel Spreadsheet [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how I can get an Excel spreadsheet to open at start-up? Thanks!

Filter from 2 Columns (Unique values) in Excel [ 1 Answers ]

I need to filter from both these sets of data in excel Set 1 Set 2 ----------------------- 986 Buchanan Dodsworth 563 67 789 Buchanan 235 689 Dodsworth 789 143

Inserting multiple columns on Excel [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone help me to insert multiple columns under any particular cell without disturbing other cell data ? For example it should be like : --------------------------------------------------------- | A | B | C |...

View more questions Search