Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acolon2460 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2008, 11:06 AM
    The parable of the weed
    In matthew 13: 24-28. What the word weed means?
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 12:54 PM
    "The kingdom of heaven is likened to a man that sowed good seed in his field. But while men were asleep, his enemy came and oversowed cockle among the wheat and went his way. And when the blade was sprung up, and had brought forth fruit, then appeared also the cockle. And the servants of the good man of the house coming said to him. Sir, didst thou not sow good seed in thy field? Whence then hath it cockle? And he said to them: An enemy hath done this. And the servants said to him: Wilt thou that we go and gather it up? And he said: No, lest perhaps gathering up the cockle, you root up the wheat also together with it. Suffer both to grow until the harvest, and in the time of the harvest I will say to the reapers: Gather up first the cockle, and bind it into bundles to burn, but the wheat gather ye into my barn." Matt 13:24-30

Cockle, some times rendered as tares, i.e. weed: a weed, as the darnel Lolium temulentum, or rye grass, L. perenne. (Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.)

I've come to learn that both the seed and the grass of the cockle look very much like wheat. The act of sowing over a wheat field with cockle was the preverbal dirty trick in antiquity, saved only for your most hated neighbor. If you think about it, you must really hate your neighbor to take the time to harvest the seed of a plant that dosen't provide sustenance and then take the time to sow it over somebody else's field. Now the good man must tend a field that containing both weed and sustaining wheat, and then expend additional labor to separate the two, if in fact he can. If the wheat is crowded out by the weed, you might lose the entire field.

This parable is comparing the Kingdom of God (the Church) with the man who sowed good seed. But, while the men slept an enemy sowed weeds in with the wheat, allowing nature to take its course. Only after the both wheat and cockle started to bear fruit could the difference be discerned. The servants wanted to get rid of the cockle, but the master knew that the good wheat would be up-rooted at that same time. So, the good man instructed the servants to gather both at harvest and then separate them.

The reference of men sleeping was a warning that those who are entrusted to keep the fields should remain diligent. The tares which look much like the wheat symbolizes a false faith sown by the antichrist and, like that of the cockle which vies for the same nutrients in the soil, the faithful maybe crowded out. Thus staying diligent and awake the Church "shall persevere unto the end, he shall be saved". (Matt 10:22)

Rightly, the servants of Christ are concerned that the weed may at sometime overtake the just, doing incurable harm. However, in wanting to remove the cockle before it ripens endangers the wheat. The effort to remove the cockle will uproot the wheat. So, we must suffer the unholy to grow alongside the holy. In the end the weeds will be carried off and burned and the faithful will receive their reward in heaven in the separation of the wheat from the tares.

JoeT
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 01:09 PM

Matthew 13:24-28 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? Whence then hath it tares? He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?

The Kings James Version refer is [tares] as underlined above.

The Strong Concordance refer of the meaning to tares as being: a kind of darnel, bastard wheat resembling wheat except the grains are black.

This idea of tares being a black bastard wheat is the same idea of when Satan deceived Eve in the garden. Cain was the devils seed sown in deception, and the first murderer from the beginning. The tare sown, by Satan.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sndbay View Post
    Matthew 13:24-28 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?

The Strong Concordance refer of the meaning to tares as being: a kind of darnel, bastard wheat resembling wheat except the grains are black.

This idea of tares being a black bastard wheat is the same idea of when Satan deceived Eve in the garden. Cain was the devils seed sown in deception, and the first murderer from the beginning. The tare sown, by Satan.
    Cain was indeed the Devil's seed, but not literally.

Genesis 4:1
    And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 01:22 PM
    Matthew 13:24-28 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?

I've got to second that. This is rather a unique interpretation. Where did it come from?

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 01:40 PM

Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

2 Cr 11:2-3 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present [you as] a chaste virgin to Christ. But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

Adam and Eve were aware of their flesh bodies before God permitted their joining as one. I believe that is why God did not find favor in Cain verse Abel. Cain was conceived in deception caused by Satan to stop the birth of Christ.

John 8:44 Ye are of [your] father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 02:05 PM
    [....
    Adam and Eve were aware of their flesh bodies before God permitted their joining as one. I believe that is why God did not find favor in Cain verse Abel. Cain was conceived in deception caused by Satan to stop the birth of Christ.

And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.

Then why does Scripture say "from the Lord"?
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 02:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria View Post

Then why does Scripture say "from the Lord"?
    DeMaria, All souls belong to God..We know God determines whether a woman is to have children.. So we can see God did not stop Eve from having children. Eve was ordained by God to be the mother of all living. So for Eve to say, "I have gotten a man," it is to say in the blessing of a child that God determine the gender to be man..

The scripture goes on to say 4:2 And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.

Two male children, and note the word again"yacaph" to add or increase, continue. We can suppose they were twins where her labor continued or added to what came first.

The conception of fraternal twins can be two different time periods. So I can suppose that Cain was conceived outside of what we call wedlock or before God intended. This was the deception Satan caused and what is refer as bastard wheat or the beginning of tares.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 04:13 PM
    The above discussion is very interesting and informative.
    Thank you all very much.
    Have a Merry, Holy Christmas,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 05:07 PM
    DeMaria, All souls belong to God..We know God determines whether a woman is to have children.. So we can see God did not stop Eve from having children. Eve was ordained by God to be the mother of all living. So for Eve to say, "I have gotten a man," it is to say in the blessing of a child that God determine the gender to be man..

The scripture goes on to say 4:2 And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.

Two male children, and note the word again"yacaph" to add or increase, continue. We can suppose they were twins where her labor continued or added to what came first.

The conception of fraternal twins can be two different time periods. So I can suppose that Cain was conceived outside of what we call wedlock or before God intended. This was the deception Satan caused and what is refer as bastard wheat or the beginning of tares.
    But didn't God give Eve to be Adam's wife when He created her?

Genesis 2:24
    Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria View Post
    But didn't God give Eve to be Adam's wife when He created her?

Genesis 2:24
    Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
    Genesis 2:23 And Adam said, This [is] now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

This is still in general of man and woman. (Adam means man)

Read Genesis 3:16-23 which examples the changes that were after Eve had been deceived. From what is said God permitted Eve desire for her husband, and charged that Adam should rule over her. Neither of this was true before she touch what she was told not to do. And infact Eve had ruled over Adam to bring him to eat what was said not to be touched. We should not be ignorant or naive to what the desire of flesh can lead us to doing. By verse 20 Adam calls Eve his wife. God confirmed man was made one knowing good and evil.
    (note during this deception, it is the misleading words of evil by Satan' )
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 07:20 PM
    De Maria,
    Very good question!
    And
    You answered it well.
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 07:21 PM
    Read Genesis 3:16-23 which examples the changes that were after Eve had been deceived. From what is said God permitted Eve desire for her husband, and charged that Adam should rule over her. Neither of this was true before she touch what she was told not to do. And infact Eve had ruled over Adam to bring him to eat what was said not to be touched. We should not be ignorant or naive to what the desire of flesh can lead us to doing. By verse 20 Adam calls Eve his wife. God confirmed man was made one knowing good and evil.
    (note during this deception, it is the misleading words of evil by Satan' )
    I don't see it. Could you walk me through what you are talking about?

Genesis 3:16-23 (King James Version)

16Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

17And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

18Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;

19In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

20And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

21Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

22And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

23Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground whence he was taken.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777 View Post
    This parable is comparing the Kingdom of God (the Church) with the man who sowed good seed.
    As I understand it, "The Kingdom of God" includes a great deal more than "the Church". Do you really believe that the two are synonymous?
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 07:39 PM
    De Maria.
    Thanks much for that.
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 07:53 PM

Let's take it back to Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

And realize that God was please with what he had created. Genesis 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, [it was] very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Now God rested on the seventh day.. all done Genesis 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

Now we continue by God telling man=Adam not to touch the tree .. And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

In general God talks of man needing a woman, Note again (Adam means man) Genesis 2:23 And Adam said, This [is] now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

This is still a statement that man and woman are made in general with the plan for them to marry. Man with woman.. The plan is in place for Adam, and one woman.

Genesis 3 come in and it's Satan who wants to deceive before God's plan for woman and man can bring forth the return of Christ through Eve the mother of all living. She would be the mother of all living because of Christ bringing us life.

Have I explained this enough for the thought to continue in the right path from here?
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 08:04 PM
    ordinaryguy,
    I do believe that the Kingdom of God on earth is The Church.
    It is where His word is preached and understand it taught.
    It is where His followers are one with Him of one body each part of it with a certain function or calling.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 08:06 PM
    sndbay,
    I do believe that God did institute marriage and did marry Adam and Eve.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 08:08 PM
    Let's take it back to Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

And realize that God was please with what he had created. Genesis 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, [it was] very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Now God rested on the seventh day.. all done Genesis 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

Now we continue by God telling man=Adam not to touch the tree .. And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

In general God talks of man needing a woman, Note again (Adam means man) Genesis 2:23 And Adam said, This [is] now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

This is still a statement that man and woman are made in general with the plan for them to marry. Man with woman.. The plan is in place for Adam, and one woman.

Genesis 3 come in and it's Satan who wants to deceive before God's plan for woman and man can bring forth the return of Christ through Eve the mother of all living. She would be the mother of all living because of Christ bringing us life.

Have I explained this enough for the throught to continue in the right path from here?
    Ohhhh, I don't think so. You've got a lot of dots to connect. How do we get from here to "tares being a black bastard wheat is the same idea of when Satan deceived Eve in the garden. Cain was the devils seed sown in deception, and the first murderer from the beginning. The tare sown, by Satan." You'll have to paint the entire picture, I still don't get it. You've got to remember, I can be thick headed.

And, I'm not buying.

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 08:30 PM
    JoeT777,
    I'm having trouble with that also.
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Am I addicted to weed [ 18 Answers ]

Hi my name is sherry, My husband tells me I have a problem with weed. This is my first time asking a question on this site. Let me tell you a little about myself. I work 40+ hrs a week I pay every bill in my home I don't smoke everyday probably 3 times a week.I have a kid that's 4 yrs old he wears...

Weed Trimmer(weed eater) [ 3 Answers ]

I need step by step help on re-installing a (recoil) starter rope on a weed eater. If by chance you have diagram of how to put it on , I sure would appreciate it , any info will be appreciated ty denise

WeeD what does this mean? [ 6 Answers ]

When your talking about buying weed what does this mean? "Bout hundred a quarter"

Weed whacker [ 2 Answers ]

New weed whacker will not start no matter what, fuel is NOT old...

View more questions Search