Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alana1970 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Can my son be sentence for this crime
    My son is 15 years old and on Thursday was arrested along with 2 of his friends for being in a fight with 2 other kids. One of my sons friends supposedly slashed one of the boys with a knife in his back, twice in the ears and once in the face. The knife was never recovered. All 3 boys are now in family court. My sons first hearing was yesterday and they left him there until Tuesday cause the judge said that his grades were not good and that showed lack of parental supervision and now his next hearing is Tuesday where the other side has to prove there case.

I want to know what can happen at the hearing and to my son. He didn't cut anybody but the lawyer said that the mere fact of him being there is not good. This is his first time being arrested he has no record and is a good boy. He is good at home and goes to school everyday. Thank you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alana1970 View Post
    My son is 15 years old and on thursday was arrested along with 2 of his friends for being in a fight with 2 other kids. One of my sons friends supposedly slashed one of the boys with a knife in his back, twice in the ears and once in the face. The knife was never recovered. All 3 boys are now in family court. My sons first hearing was yesterday and they left him there until tuesday cause the judge said that his grades were not good and that showed lack of parental supervision and now his next hearing is tuesday where the other side has to prove there case.

I want to know what can happen at the hearing and to my son. He didnt cut anybody but the lawyer said that the mere fact of him being there is not good. This is his first time being arrested he has no record and is a good boy. He is good at home and goes to school everyday. Thank you.

Depending on the State - and it's true in NY - your son is an accomplice, every bit as guilty as the person who did the slashing. There's a NY case from many years ago where three girls attempted to snatch either earrings or a necklace from another girl and in the course of the robbery the girl was murdered. All three were found guilty of premeditated murder - even the two who weren't armed. The convictions were appealed from all directions and all appeals were lost.

I would believe what your Attorney says as he/she knows the Court system in your area, the possible sentences, whether the boys will testify against each other.

Why was lack of parental supervision mentioned? What time of day did this happen?

Maybe he's a good kid who just keeps bad friends - I don't know but I would listen to the Attorney. This could be a very serious charge. What is he charged with now?

Quite frankly, I'm a little concerned about the "good boy" part because you've posted on other threads about the problems you are/were having with him - or is this a different child? His behavior appears to have been a problem since June 2008 when, as I recall, he was leaving school on a regular basis and coming home without permission to do so.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 20, 2008, 11:56 AM

Ok, remember juv court is not like adult court, so it is not as much of a sentence for a crime as it is the family court getting involved to over see the raising of the child.

It can be almost anything, often depending on what the investigation shows.

Most likely they will check with school officials, see how many days he has missed at school, maybe even talk to some teachers about his attitude in class

Then they will decide what in their opinion is the best way to help the child change his life around.

This may include boot camp, some time in detention lock up, or varoius levels of probation.
    ethansmommy Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Dec 20, 2008, 01:24 PM

I agree with judykaytee. Your not saying how guilty your son really is. In both posts you say he's a good kid and put his bad behavior off as someone else's fault in this post it's his friends and in your last post it's the school's fault. I would say step back and let the court deliver their sentence and start owning up to the mistakes that he makes, it will never stop if you keep making excuses for him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is natural crime and legal crime [ 5 Answers ]

Natural crime and legal crime

Need definition of natural crime and legal crime [ 1 Answers ]

Am doing a college paper on Natural Crime and Legal Crime and am searching for simple definitions or other research on these two types of crime and what falls under each. Thanks:)

Natural crime v. Legal crime [ 3 Answers ]

Define natural crime v. legal crime

Natural crime and legal crime [ 2 Answers ]

It appears I am up and have the same class now. I need a little assitance in getting a paper for the topic of natural crime and legal crime. Can some one help a brother out?

Natural crime and legal crime [ 2 Answers ]

I need to compare and contrast the concepts of natural crime and legal crime. Can anyone help me out?

View more questions Search