Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amchen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2006, 01:08 AM
    Universal remote replacement needed
    Anyone know of a universal remote that will work with my fan? The original remote has quit working.

Here is all the information (see attached picture) I have on the fan/remote:

Remote Control
    Fan speed control
    Model UC-7040
    120V / 60Hz 1A / 250W
    Made in Taiwan
    Used with Halsey Ceiling Fan
    Models HC HP and HG
    Made in 1995

The receiver still works (tested with another fan remote) but unfortunately is built into the fan and cannot be easily replaced. There are 5 DIP switch settings compared to the more common 4 DIP switches.

Any info or link to a good universal remote is appreciated, thanks.
    Attached Images

ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2006, 10:07 AM
    Any universal remote should work.
    ppaxton Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2006, 01:04 AM
    I have the same fan and the same remote. I just bought the Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote and it doesn't seem to work. I will call support to see if they have an answer, but so far it doesn't look good. I spent the $250 on this remote because I really wanted to clean up the remote garbage laying around. Looks like all it will control is the same devices my $29 remote controlled.
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2006, 11:04 PM
    You have to make sure the remote is set to the same frequency as the fan. Beyond that I really don't know what to tell you. If some use a different number of dip switches you may still be able to obtain a matching frequency through trial and error.

To the OP, what other fan remote did you use to test the receiver?
    ppaxton Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2006, 09:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    You have to make sure the remote is set to the same frequency as the fan. Beyond that I really dont know what to tell you. If some use a different number of dip switches you may still be able to obtain a matching frequency through trial and error.

To the OP, what other fan remote did you use to test the receiver?
    The new Harmony remote is IR not RF - which apparently is my problem. It may be that the problem can be solved with X10, but not sure I want to go there. I don't understand the technology enough and not sure how X10 will work with a wall plate switch and the fan being able to be controlled by an RF remote.
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2006, 10:17 AM
    All ceiling fans are RF to my knowledge, so if it is designed to control a fan it should have RF capabilities.

But that's just me talking, I know nothing of $250 remotes, except that I would never buy one.
    sbennett Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 10:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amchen
    Anyone know of a universal remote that will work with my fan? The original remote has quit working.

Here is all the information (see attached picture) I have on the fan/remote:

Remote Control
    Fan speed control
    Model UC-7040
    120V / 60Hz 1A / 250W
    Made in Taiwan
    Used with Halsey Ceiling Fan
    Models HC HP and HG
    Made in 1995

The receiver still works (tested with another fan remote) but unfortunately is built into the fan and cannot be easily replaced. There are 5 DIP switch settings compared to the more common 4 DIP switches.

Any info or link to a good universal remote is appreciated, thanks.
    I have this same remote for my ceiling fan and it doesn't work anymore either... in fact if never really worked very well in the first place... did you ever find out how to fix it?
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Other than purchasing a replacement or Universal remote, no.
    aaronh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2009, 02:08 PM
    I just had the same problem and was able to solve it. If you DIP 5 is off simply get http://www.efanparts.com/ceiling_fan_remote_controls.html letter B. Then use the 4 dip switches in the same position as your existing remote. If 5 is on, you will need to reconfigure your fan to put it in the off position.

Cheers,
    Aaron

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunter universal fan remote installation [ 3 Answers ]

Using fan with three wires... From fan: 1. black marked LIGHT KIT 2. black plain not marked 3. white marked NEUTRAL Hunter remote unit Five wires:

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan & PDA's universal remote [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I own a HP PDA (rx3115) and a hampton bay light/fan. The PDA comes with infrared, and one of the functions I use it for is a replacement for all of my remotes. Anyway, the device code for the fan isn't listed in the choises that the PDA comes with. I was wondering if it is possible to...

Remote control ceiling fan transmitter/receive replacement [ 2 Answers ]

Hi -- I just replaced the transmitter/receiver on my remote control light/ceiling fan, and it's working just fine. Thing is, before I installed it, I noted that the new control set said not to use on solid state ceiling fans. Because I didn't buy the fan in the first place, I wasn't sure of even so...

Law of Universal Gravitation [ 1 Answers ]

At what height above the earth must an artificial satellite orbit if it is to remain at the same place relative to the earth?

Variable universal life insurance [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking into variable universal life insurance with Pacific Life. What are the problems with this kind of insurance and what are the benefits?

View more questions Search