Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherryweb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 10:25 PM
    Can landlord give me a typed letter to vacate in 60 days?
    I was given a typed letter on November 7, 2008 stating that I had 60 days to vacate the premises because he sold the property. Today the landlord calls me and tells me he is going to give me a 3-day notice. Can he do this? Also can he just bring a typed letter and give to me himself or does he have to do the proper papers through court and have me served?
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Dec 17, 2008, 03:50 AM
    He gave you a 60 day notice to vacate. This notice can be written in crayon on a torn up napkin if need be... as long as you received it. It is not an eviction... just a notice to vacate. The 3 day notice most likely means that you did not pay this months rent. Again... this notice does not need to be a formal notice. If you fail to pay once the 3 days are up... expect a very formal notice to appear in court to defend your reasons for not paying.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 06:03 AM
    Hello sherry:

If you have a rental agreement, it is BINDING on a new owner, so you are not required to leave for THAT reason.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sherryweb View Post
    I was given a typed letter on November 7, 2008 stating that I had 60 days to vacate the premises because he sold the property. Today the landlord calls me and tells me he is going to give me a 3-day notice. Can he do this? Also can he just bring a typed letter and give to me himself or does he have to do the proper papers through court and have me served?

Is the 3 day notice a notice to pay or quit? Is your rent paid up to date? Is there a lease or month to month?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 17, 2008, 08:12 AM

When a property is sold any outstanding leases become the responsibiility of the buyer. Therefore the landlord cannot order you out before the expiration of the lease JUST because of the move.

However, if you are on a month to month basis, then 60 days notice of the termination of the lease is sufficient and handing you a typed letter to that effect is also sufficient.

You are, however, still responsible for paying the rental for those 60 days. A 3 day notice is usually a pay or quit notice. Was it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 17, 2008, 11:15 AM

Ok, a lot of questions

Which owner,? If he sold the property, was it the old owner or the new owner ? When did the property actually sell ( close)

Did you have a lease, if you had a lease, the new owner has to honor it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Landlord is unjustly asking me to Vacate! [ 69 Answers ]

I just moved in 2 weeks ago.. I brought to her some concerns about non-working outlet.. space heaters for a heat source.. I had no phone service for 2 weeks, because she had to pay for it.. yesterday.she gave me 15 days to vacate.. I have no more money and no where to go.. I am scared and worried.....

60 days notice to vacate [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We own a home which we have leased to tenants. The lease states leasor needs to give 60 days notice to vacate. We wrote a letter, giving them the 60 days notice and sent it registered mail. Turns out they were on a two week vacation and didn't receive the notice until they returned. Now,...

Debt Validation Sworn Denial Letter Valid 30 Days After Demand Letter Michigan [ 9 Answers ]

Zwicker has sued me for alleged debt and I am representing myself in Michigan in court. The details are as follows. I have only received one demand letter from them dated December 26, 2006. The letter did not provide any information that is required by the Fair Debt Collections Act to dispute...

Small Claims Debt Validation Sworn Denial Letter Valid 30 Days After Demand Letter my [ 1 Answers ]

Zwicker has sued me for alleged debt and I am representing myself in Michigan in court. The details are as follows. I have only received one demand letter from them dated December 26, 2006. The letter did not provide any information that is required by the Fair Debt Collections Act to dispute...

Need to give 60 days notice, but rent is increasing in thirty days [ 3 Answers ]

I have rented the condo I am in now for over two years. After the initial lease term of one year, I went on a month-to-month basis. I am required to give 60 days notice prior to vacating the property. My landlord notified me at the end of this month (february) that the rent would be...

View more questions Search