Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ayodeji33 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 02:18 AM
    Whose responsibility to withhold and pay taxes to IRS,emloyer vs employee
    My friend has been working for 11months .employer never deduct taxes from his salary uptil present. Who is responsible to pay taxes to IRS .EMPLOYER OR EMPLOYEE
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 04:45 AM

The employee is responsible for reporting his earnings and paying taxes on those earnings.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 06:08 AM

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the employer is also responsible for half of the social security and medicare taxes owed.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 06:27 AM
    Fair enough. Your answer is 100% correct as far as I know. I was just recalling another similar question where the OP wasn't having FICA and Medicare tax withheld and the company came after them for 100% of the amount owed even though it was half their responsibility.

Seems as though I have responded to a deleted post. Disregard this at will.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 06:34 AM

Yes, steve, I did delete it because I found it redundant in lieu of your reply. Sorry you had to post again under a deleted post. It was my mistake.

Ms tickle
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 09:37 AM
    The IRS holds the employer responsible for all FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes. It is up to the employer to collect the empoyee's share of these taxes from his paycheck, but, even if the money is NOT withheld, the IRS expects the employer to pay taxes regardless. Failure to do so will generate some rather stiff fines from the IRS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm both an independent contractor and W2 employee -- how do I file taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

In 2008, I have worked both as a W2 employee and an independent contractor (my wages are split between the two about half and half). This is the first year I'm paying as an independent contractor, and from what I've learned so far, you need to pay quarterly (I'm OK so far because I've really...

Employers never paid employee taxes for 2007 [ 3 Answers ]

My former employers closed their business 12/31/2007. During 2007 my fellow employees and I received pay checks with stubs indicating proper taxes were deducted. It is now March 2008 and we (the employees) have still not received our W-2's. I have tried to contact my former employers by every...

No taxes taken out of my employee check [ 4 Answers ]

I have started a small painting business, I had several workers, about 4 of them only worked 1 or 2 weeks, making under $600. I wrote out checks to them from my painting account, I have 1 employee that made $3,000. What form do I need to send him so I can claim it as a deduction, no taxes were...

View more questions Search