Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WindandCloud Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 08:27 PM
    Housebreaking 1 year chihuahua mix
    What's the best way to housebreak? I have a 1 year old rescue dog- Chihuahua terrier mix. She continually goes in the house at times on a wee wee pad other times no. I try to catch her in the act of doing it in order to make her understand it's bad and I praise her outdoors when she does it. She still does it in the house and she knows its bad because she runs and hides afterward. I would like to eventually wean off the pads so that she does it only outside. What's the best way to do it?
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Dec 17, 2008, 01:08 AM

Training an adult is much harder the training a puppy. The most important factor is patience! When you catch her in the act, how do you tell her its bad? Any harsh treatment such as bopping or cruelty rubbing a dogs nose in or near its accidents can cause more harm then good to the training process. The dog will only learn to fear its people, and do its business when your not around that way. Therefore catching it in the act and cleaning up its flagged potty spots becomes a lot tougher and every accident that goes uncaught is a step backwards. Getting a crate might help tremendously. Here's a site about how to crate train

Crate Training | The Humane Society of the United States

Also how do you feed your dog? Does it have free access to eat or are its meals scheduled?
    WindandCloud Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 09:30 AM
    Yes, that's exactly what's happening.. she's elusive and does it when my wife and I aren't around. We haven't caught her to date.. Her meals are very scheduled and she's walked 3 times a day. Thank you for the site.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Dec 17, 2008, 11:16 AM

Then a crate may be your best option. That way you can crate your dog when you are not home, sleeping or otherwise unable to monitor her. If at all possible try to find all of her own designated bathrooms and clean them well with a good enzyme removing cleaner. While you are trying to teach her,you are going to need to take her outside a lot more then three times a day. Every few hours will give her ample opportunity to get it right. When she is loose from the crate limit her area to where you can keep an eye on her. If you see any signs of needing to potty like sniffing or even beginning to squat, grab her up and take her out. If she refuses outside, put her in the crate and try again shortly. If she has to go stubbornness can only hold out so long.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 11:32 AM

It sounds like you need to get your dog crate trained. And I've found what helps so she won't pee in her crate is to feed her in there. I keep our puppy's bowls in the cage as a reminder that's where she eats, even if they're empty. Dogs don't like to pee in their "dining room."

Don't punish her if she potties in the house, but try to catch her in the act. Clap your hands or make some kind of noise to distract her so she stops and pick her up and take her out. Make sure you give her treats and praise while she's outside when she goes potty. If you give them to her when you get back into the house she might rush while outside and not really empty her bladder because she's excited for a treat.

Also, dogs need to eliminate after eating, drinking, playing or napping, so if you can get her out after any of these activities it will give her a chance to potty outside when she needs to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Housebreaking my shih tzu [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I just got a shih tzu and I'm having a really hard time getting her to use the bathroom outside. We will take her outside and she will not go but when we come back in she will urinate on my carpets or make a bowel movement.its really becoming a problem I don't know what to do please help:(

Struggling with housebreaking [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, New member I need to know what is the right way to house break my seven week old miniature dachshund I have read book after book some say let him in and out of the crate some say make him stay in there all day except to eat and potty but he has already using it in his crate I Don't KNOW WHAT...

HouseBreaking My 10 Year Old Siberian Husky [ 2 Answers ]

Hi There, My dog is a 10 year old siberian husky and when she is inside she usually ends up messing in the house. We got her from a kennel when she was 9 so she messes in the house because that is what she did in her kennel. So she is currently outside in a dog pen with her doghouse. And we want...

Housebreaking [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to litter train a Cockapoo puppy?

View more questions Search