Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChyllieBean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 03:07 PM
    Wiring installation for new electric range.
    Our house was built in 1909 and the old range has direct wiring. We are purchasing a new electric range and need to know how to install the proper wiring / outlet as it will not be directly wired.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2008, 04:10 PM

Be sure conductors and breaker are large enough(Can you give nameplate rating, Amps/watts? If 3 conductor are present, then a 3 wire recepticle(Range recepticle) will be needed, IF you have 4, or can pull an extra, then install a 4 wire Range receptacle, then you need a 4 wire Range Cord, If the range was 3 wire, then the Jumper between the Neutral and Ground needs to be removed, so you have a separate Neutral and Ground.
    50 Amp Range receptacle and 50 Amp 4 wire Range cord will be needed for the 4 wire setup.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring on a GE Profile Electric Free-Standing Range [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We're trying to install a new GE Profile Electric Free-Standing Range for my mom. We hooked up a 3-wire, 40-amp power cord (red, white and black connector wires). But we've found an addition set of wires dangling on the back of the stove, above the main power cord: one white wire, one green...

Over the range microwave installation [ 1 Answers ]

How do I install an over the range microwave oven if there is no cabinet over the range?

Electric range wiring [ 4 Answers ]

4 years ago my home passed electrical inspection with the range wired on a 10/3 wire in a 30 amp breaker. Today I am finishing out the basement and the inspector tells me I need a 40 amp breaker with a 6/3 wire. Has the NEC changed regarding this?

Changing from a gas range to an electric smooth top range [ 1 Answers ]

What are the requirement for switching from cooking with a gas stove to cooking with and electric stove

Electric Range Wiring [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks ahead of time... I live in a home built in 1981 and the electrical wiring to the old Top range consists of three wires ( black, white and a copper bare wire). I bought a new Electric range that has connections in the back for four wires. My questions are: 1. do I purchase a three plug...

View more questions Search