Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikebvd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 06:02 AM
    401k vs Prop. Investment
    I have approx. 80K in 401 at this time would it be wise to cash out and buy investment prop.? I feel that investment prop. For the long term is a better option (10-15yrs). I know that I would take a hit for pulling out or is there a way that I could do it??
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 14, 2008, 06:59 AM

Not a good idea. First, taking money out of your 401(k) would require that you pay both income tax (state and federal) and a 10% early withdrawal penalty. Depending on your tax bracket, you may end up with only 50% - 60% of your investment. Second, your 401(k) has the advantage of tax-deferred growth. Finally, investing in real estate does not have the advantage of diversification - if you invest in 1 property you are taking on a huge amount of risk. Better to take advantage of the diversification you can get through your 401(k) by investing in a broad basket of domestic and international stocks and bonds. If you want to invest in real estate, you should first build up a separate savings pool of money - while still maintaining and adding to your existing 401(k).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 14, 2008, 07:09 AM

While I totally agree with ebaines, there is one way you MIGHT be able to do this. See if your company will offer either a self-directed investment vehicle or a property based fund.
    FrankK Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Dec 23, 2008, 03:43 PM
    I agree with EBaines in so far as you should not cash out your 401k. The penalties are simply too high. In addition, the stock market is on sale right now, so you could very well be selling at the bottom of the market.

If you really have your heart set on buying investment real estate -- and you have a lot of financial discipline -- you could limit your 401k contributions to whatever your employer matches and then put the rest in a money market with the idea of saving up for a rental property. This would keep you from paying the penalties associated with cashing out your 401k, while accelerating your savings toward owning rental real estate.

While I think real estate and stocks are equally good long term investments. Adding real estate to your portfolio would provide meaningful diversification. Some there are some benefits there. If you get into real estate, my advice would be to pay cash. I have seen a lot of people get themselves into trouble borrowing money for rental properties. Renting property is considerably less profitable -- and more capital intensive -- than most people think.

Good luck to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Keeping CA prop 13 prop tax level [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, This is my 1st post so TY for any help. I'm in Calif. & wondering if there's a way to maintain the Prop 13 property tax level if a child inherits a house. There is a trust & I'm there only child inheriting the home. Thanks for any help, db

401k investment and early withdrawal [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in California on H-1 visa right now and I am confused whether I should invest enough in the 401k or not. I am not thinking about long term. If I invest something in 401 for an year and then take it back after an year then do you think that I would be in profit ? Let me explain you my...

Cashing in 401k for other investment [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 34 and am considering cashing in my 401K from a previous employer. My wife and I are self employed and in addition to considering putting this money into growing our business we have also been presented with an opportunity to invest in a local business that has plans to expand in the next...

401k going to real state investment [ 1 Answers ]

:confuseThak you for your help My wife has some money in her 401 k Now is not longer working for the same company and now she wants to take her 401k money and use it in real state . She wants invest some money in real state but she dosen't want a pay the penalty in taxes . There is any way...

View more questions Search