Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wannaretire Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Impact of Tax Exempt Income on Social Security
    My last social security statement showed a reported income which was less than the previous year, although my income actually went up. Human resources told me it was due to the increased tax-exempt medical premiums I began paying that year (my husband retired and I put him on my medical plan).

Am I correct in believing the higher the medical premiums go (I'm told to expect a 12% increase in 2009), the less social security I will receive in the end as my tax-exempt income increases and my reported income decreases?

How can I determine and compare the tax savings I'm currently realizing versus the loss in future social security income?

Would it be better to waive the tax exemption?

Thanks for any information. I'm baffled.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Possibly, but the impact over your 40+ years of working is so small as to be insignificant.

The tax savings of paying your medical insurance with pre-tax dollars is a MUCH better deal than the adverse impact on your Social Security benefits.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 11:27 AM

It would not be a good idea to "waive" the tax exemption (although I'm not sure you could even if you wanted to). Premiums that are deducted from your pay for medical coverage are not inluded in your pay for determining social security taxes, medicaire taxes, federal income tax, or state income tax. For every dollar of medical premiums you are saving something like 20% in federal income tax (depends on your tax bracket) plus another 6.2% for SS, 1.45% for Medicaire, and state/local income tax. So yes, the fact that the premiums are paid with pre-tax dollars means you may well receive less in SS payments later on - BUT, the tax savings that you get today from reduced federal income tax, medicare, and state income tax make it so you come out ahead compared to if you paid all these taxes on your medical. Premiums.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

O2 Visas exempt from Social Security? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a payroll administrator with a general question. Are O2 visa holders exempt from Social Security taxes.

Is OPT exempt from Social Security Taxes? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I've worked under Optional Practical Training (OPT) between Jul 2006 and Jul 2007. Today I've received my W2, and it looks like they cut more than $1500 for Social Security tax, and $372 for Medicare. As an OPT do I had to pay for these? If not how can I ask for returns on it? Another...

Mennonites Exempt from Social Security [ 2 Answers ]

I have a client that is Mennonite and employees mennonites and the employer claims that as an employer he must pay the employer portion of the social security and medicare on the total wages but his employee is not subject to the social security and medicare being withheld. I can not find any...

Social Security Benefits are exempt from Levy [ 0 Answers ]

For your information about Social Security Benefits Safe from Garnishment Federal law makes Social Security benefits exempt from levy, garnishment, and assignment- 42 USC 407(a) states. "In general the right of any future payments under this sub chapter SHALL NOT be Transferable or...

View more questions Search