Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bubblejungle Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2006, 09:23 PM
    Power of incense
    I was reading a thread and I saw something about incense offerings and I was wondering what all can be done with incense and essential oils and such as far as a spiritual [cleansing, etc.] is concerned.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 8, 2006, 12:04 AM
    Hello,
    I was a commentator on the post I believe you are referring to. Though I am perhaps not the best person here capable of answering you on this, I will tell you what I can, as relates to my personal practices.
    I myself make daily offerings of incense in the context of being a Buddhist practitioner. I light incense or "joss sticks" primarily as offerings, gifts to the enlightened beings as well as my ancestors. Buddhists make regular offerings to spiritual beings in the forms of incense, fruit, water, rice, tea, flowers, etc. It is common to see oranges, for instance, on many altars, a practice very common in Japan where they are a traditional gift to the deceased. The primary purpose of offering incense in this context is to spread prayers and blessings via the ethereal conduit of perfumed smoke, carrying these powerful energies of goodwill far and wide and towards the heavens. Offerings such as fruit, after a period of days, are then left outdoors in order to provide further nourishment to myriad other beings such as animals and insects.
    Incense can be lit for various other reasons as well, depending on individual beliefs and the scent invoked. Sandalwood is often lit to invoke compassion. Rose for depression, lavender for relaxation, even patchouli to keep away many insects. Native Americans cherish cedar to ward off evil, and purify negative energy. Cedar berry necklaces are traditionally worn by some tribal shamans for the former purpose. Navajo, I believe.
    Smudging, as mentioned, is also a Native practice, though is often also incorporated into the rituals of various other World religions, such as Wicca.
    The most commonly implemented smudge is probably white sage. It is a sacred Native plant, and has a long history of use by many tribes. It is used for cleansing one's living space or abode, as well as purifying the body or one's aura. Endless miraculous health benefits are attributed to this plant, both physical and mental, and entire books have been written on it.
    Smudge is most traditionally burned in an abalone shell. The reason for this is to complete the circle of natural elements, adding water to the earth (smudge), fire (flame), and air (sacred smoke). The smudge is then fanned with a smudge wand to disperse the smoke into every corner of the living space. Traditional smudge wands were made with eagle feathers, though now illegal to possess, (dyed) turkey feathers are generally subsistuted. The purpose of this ritual is an energetic cleansing, the removal of any negative energies or vibrations.
    Smudge is often used to cleanse one's person as well. The smudge is placed in front of one. The hands are cupped palms up, and the smoke is repeatedly drawn up towrds one's face and pulled over one's scalp. It can then be pulled down over the shoulders and down the midline of the body. The arms can be cleansed as well. The body is not generally, actually touched during this ritual, the hands gliding over the surface of the body, as the primary purpose is to cleanse the aura, or what Eastern beliefs might generally refer to as "chi", "ki" or "prana", and perhaps the chakras, the energetic centers of the body.
    Essential oils can as well be used in various ways. Oftentimes they are simmered, utilizing certain scents in much the same way as incense. They can be diluted in very hot water or carrier oils (vegetable or nut based oils generally) and the steam inhaled, or the diluted essential oil applied to parts of the skin for various health purposes. Oils such as peppermint and lavender, as well as others, are often added to massage lotions. And occasionally tiny amounts of some diluted oils are used in various forms of holistic medicine, though consumption often carries some risk if not strictly measured, and should definitely not be undertaken except under the supervised care of a most highly qualified health professional, as most concentrated essential oils, even fairly well diluted, are at least moderately toxic when taken within the human body.
    Well, that's about all I can tell you offhand. Hopefully someone else here can elaborate further if necessary. Hope this is somewhat helpful. :)
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 8, 2006, 04:37 PM
    There are also native american practices (called "smudging") that involves burned herb bundles (mostly commonly sage) meant for spiritual cleansing too.
    bubblejungle Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2006, 10:43 AM
    Thank you very much, especially for being so detailed.
    ranieri Posts: 136, Reputation: 13

Aug 24, 2006, 08:46 AM
    Your answers from others have only revealed what a smudge stick is to do. That is not necessarily what incense is for. You are to use the actual sage plant to smudge with not incense.

THis is hard to explain, to someone that is not of this realm to begin with.

Incense is to bring about a certain atmosphere, or qualties to your ritual. Or reading. It is used to recreate the energy of what ever qualities you are trying to bring about.

Like when I read on the phone for someone, I go to my office dim the lights, light my candles and incense and ground and center myself, pray, use the earths energy to cleanse me. Now if I keep doing this same thing, ritual each time I am going into my person to be read. It is like memory, my body says OK, we are calling spirit again, smoke draws spirit. Spirit says, there is that smell of tina again, of reading and needing to leave my body to help someone, she needs me to help her work, she will be calling on me for answers. Spirit is my higher being, leaving me to go out to this other being to help, to see what she or he needs help with, where is this person what is going on in there life.

It is used to recreate the same feelings of invocation for magical use, which is certain energy praying and learning to use your energy and how to read it and direct it. Depending on what you are trying to bring about.

If you are working with the 4 elements, and want to increase their power, what their element represents, power in this area of your life to bring about what ever it is you desire.

THis is not elemental in that it is something to be played with by all! Only the serious, with serious intent and not just a game to fiddle with when you are bored. Spirit knows if you are serious or just playing around. Spirit is to be treated with as much respect as you would give to God or Buddha or whoever it is you pray to. Spirit knows over the course of time, will smell, will see the smoke and the vail thinning to introduce you, and gets used to coming to fulfill your bidding. This takes some, years of practice, some it will happen instantly.

I hope this makes sense or helps!

Peace ranieri

Quote Originally Posted by bubblejungle
    i was reading a thread and i saw something about incense offerings and i was wondering what all can be done with incense and essential oils and such as far as a spiritual [cleansing, etc.] is concerned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power dvd 5 [ 6 Answers ]

Right, I need some help with an error I keep getting while trying 2 watch dvds. It says that my " tv out put port of my diplsay card is not working properly" and I don't know how to solve this problem.. can anyone help?

No power [ 2 Answers ]

Please help me! I was changing a light bulb on my kitchen ceiling light. The type that has (3) flood lights pointed in different directions. After I replaced the bulb, I went to adjust the direction of the lights and the lights flickered when I did this. I paid no attention to it and contiued...

No power! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm hoping for some help on a problem I'm having with my pc: it refuses to power on! Its not the power supply because I have swapped power supplies with my brother's PC and my old one works fine in his; his one doesn't work in mine. I thought it might be the power outlet, so I moved my...

View more questions Search