Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aaj2008 Posts: 139, Reputation: 7

Dec 10, 2008, 09:02 PM
    Lower back pain when moving
    So I was laying on the couch this afternoon and I decided to get up to get something to eat. When I stood up I had a sharp pain in my lower back that shot down through my leg. I'm fine as long as I'm standing still or don't tense up. If I lean forward or backwards I have sharp pain in my back. I have not been lifting or twisted wrong or anything like that. A heating pad or a nice lower back massage does not work. Also I have noticed a swollen area on the left side of my lower back. Pinched nerve? I don't know. Any ideas or tips? I plan on seeing a doctor tomorrow... just wondering though
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 09:11 PM

When this (exact) thing happened to me,I found out(after much B*t*hing,griping and complaining)it was the sciatic nerve(it traverses down the entire leg)

For me,the pain started from the waste line,right where my jeans would rub,nasty feeling I know.The nerve runs through this region and it took some real physical therapy to get rid of it.

Had to curl into a ball(fetal position) and the therapist used(what felt like) a knuckle to spear the exact point,rubbing vary hard to get the blood flow back through the stiff muscles and actually move the nerve itself.

It sounds worse than it was,after a few days of tenderness,I was fine.(for a while) I found out my wallet was the culprit,sitting on it,driving half the day between jobs... etc.The thickness twisted my pelvis,causing the nerve to react.

Hope this helps you.

Ken

Dec 10, 2008, 09:34 PM

It helps kind of... but the pain no longer shoots down my leg... it only did it the first time I stood up. Laying on my back and pulling my legs in to curl into a ball causes extreme pain.
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 09:48 PM

YUP that's the sciatic nerve
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 09:50 PM
    Sciatic nerve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look at this site and you will understand it better.

By the way,If I were you,I wouldn't try to treat this yourself,ONLY a doctor can say for sure that this is what I think it is.

See the doc.tomorrow,like you were planning on doing anyway.

Dec 11, 2008, 02:12 PM

Went to a chiropractor and that's what it was. He took x-rays and my back looked horrible... probably because I'm a runner. However, I am feeling much better since the visit... just a little sore from being twisted and popped :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 03:41 PM

YUP, I am glad that was all it was,nothing permanent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pain in lower back moving to the front [ 11 Answers ]

I was just at dinner and I had to tell my husband to hurry because I couldn't sit still my pain was to bad. Once I got home I lied down and it got a bit better but not much, so I had a shower and that did help, but now I am sitting up strait again and my lower back is still in pain and my lower...

Lower abdominal pain and back pain [ 1 Answers ]

Constant pain in lower abdomen. Bleeding since birth of second child in July

Causes of lower back pain [ 1 Answers ]

I have had some pain in the lower right side of my back/side for about 2 days now. I have noticed when I bend a certain way it hurts and there's also a certain spot that I can press on and it hurts.What could this be a symptom of? Thank You for your Help!

Pain in lower back. [ 3 Answers ]

Been having a constant pain in my right side. Kind of in my back. And lately been having the urge to go to the bathroom a lot more then usual. And when I have to go to the bathroom the pain get worse and it hurts bad enough to cry. And the pain spreads all over. It hurts to lay on my left side. And...

View more questions Search