Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    williamsony Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 07:25 AM
    Hot water comes out of my sink, but not out of my shower
    Hi,

This problem is driving me crazy!! The hot water that comes out of my shower is very limited/ or sometimes none at all... This morning I had to go in the trap door and turn off the cold water valve completely in order to take a luke-warm shower. This was after my daughter had to take a cold one ( she was very angry). What seems to be the problem?? And what needs to be done to get this fixed?? Please Help Me!!
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 09:32 AM

Please give us some more details, the brand and the model number of your shower valve. (Is it shower only or shower and tub, is it a single handle, two handle or three knob, do you have hot water in other faucets in the house?), Tanks.

John

Dec 10, 2008, 10:03 AM
    Sorry Afaroo,

Unfortunately I don't know the brand and model number of the shower valve. Yes it's in the shower/tub area, and it's a single handle. The hot water @ the sink is extra HOT!! So I don't have a problem w/ that area.
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 10:15 AM

When you turn the handle all the way to left what happens is the water coming out the shower head or no water, or the water coming but cold.

Dec 10, 2008, 10:34 AM
    When I turn the handle to the left the water comes out of the spout in the tub (like as if I am about to take a bath) then I have to pull this little knob up that's located on the top of the spout in order for the water to come out of the shower. So to answer your question... Yes water does come out, but it's either luke-warm or cold... when it should be hot because I have the handle fully pointed in the (red) hot water indicator. I also noticed when I look at my shower head that it's kind of (brown) in color in the area where the water comes out of the shower head.
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 11:37 AM

How long do you have this did this just happened or you have this from day one, if this just happened it means that the problem is with the cartridge and it needs to be replaced, if it is from day one you have to do the following.

Remove the handle and trim from the tub/shower valve and then make an adjustment to the TEMPERATURE LIMITING DEVICE.

Once handle/trim is removed you should see something that has gradations (delta, grohe, Kohler, and price pfister valves) or you may see a simple screw (Symons valve). This will need to be adjusted to allow more hot water into the valve.

Dec 10, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Oh, Okay... No this has been happening for several month's now... in the summer it was not so bad because it was hot outside... but now it's the winter. IT'S A MAJOR PAIN!! Ok so in order to Remove the handle and trim from the tub/shower valve.. since I do not visibly see any screws would I have to go through the trap door where the shut-off valves are in order to remove the handle??

Thanks Afaroo... I really appreciate your help and assistance with this matter!
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 06:04 PM

It sounds like you have problem with the cartridge, is it possible to post a picture of your faucet and the handle, Thanks.

John

Dec 11, 2008, 09:56 AM
    I tried to Cut-and Paste a picture off the Home Depot's website of an American Standard faucet set but could not get it to work... Would I have to hire a plumber to replace the cartridge??
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 10:00 AM

If you don't feel to do it yourself yes I would suggest to hire a plumber, good luck.

John
    ALfromSTL Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 10:02 AM
    Please copy the link to the product page at Home Depot and paste it into the reply.

Im replacing my valve as we speak as well..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My hips are out of control! [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not fat or anything just got those hips which I can't get down and now I'm wearing size 10 not 8 and I don't like it any suggestions how I can loose those hips it would be really ehlpful!

Can't get husband out of house [ 5 Answers ]

I've told my husband several times that I want him gone. I'm done with our marriage. I don't want any advice on helping it etc.. All I need to know is how to actually make him leave? Besides getting the law involved. He doesn't work right now so I don't have a chance to get the a locksmith over and...

How do I get out of this mess? [ 7 Answers ]

This going to be a little long so I appreciate all who read to the end and offer any advice. I am 22 and finishing up my last year of college while working full time and VP of my Fledgling fraternity. The girl in this story I have known for 6 years. We started dating back then and have been...

View more questions Search