Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    destinesht Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 11:08 PM
    Sociology
    What are some ways in which American society is stratified? What do you think the impact is on society when groups are stratified?
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Jan 4, 2009, 10:10 PM

Sorry I'm late, but here is what I got.

There is the president, then the federal government, state governments, city mayors (by laws), and the people who vote for them. That seems pretty layerd.

Also, you have People who have millions, then those who do not, who usually work for the million dollar companies like Fashion designers, movie producers, vehicle builders. So on and so on.

How about, people who try to keep order like a judge, lawer, cops, and such, then the innocent by standers, criminals, direct victoms, and indirect victoms.

So are you really asking what the impact on society is when it comes to democracy? Having elected officials? Working in a hierarchy of sorts, like a triangle, one at that top and people under that person, and the lower it goes the more people are needed to do what the upper guys want. But things are more efficient in a King and queen type hierarchy, because you only have one person who makes the big choices. Rather than a board, or group of officials arguing what is what.

I'd like to bring up the whole idea that people are free and that we, I"m from canada, in Nroth America live in a capitalist society. Now we are begining to see that we are not only greedy, but foolish. Look at how much wood has bin cut down for what ever reasons, it's haveing huge effects on our planet, and air quality. Now the trees are getting smaller and smaller, and the market is growning thin. Mills all around where i live have bin shutting down and every year it gets worse. We don't have anything to replace the forestindustry, though it was once good, it's not good any more.
    I believe because we are a capitalist society, we have given people the idea that it's thier "right" to take what is avialable. Now we see the impact on the enviroment, and the econnomy, and the world in all. Still people don't really care, lots do, but there is so much the government cold do to change these things. They could make companies such as "KLEENEX" they claim that their product is "green". if you go on the web site Kleercut, you'll see how "green" they really are.

So, is our society run very well, not if you consider that we can't live with out trees, which give us air. Also, not if you think about how rapidly we are speeding up the change in climate. People can't survive if the earth heats up and the ice melts and we are under a bunch of water. So i think Capitalism is a bad thing.

As for "freedom", what is freedom? Freedom is the state or condition of being free. The condition of not being under another's control; power to do, say, think as one pleases; Liberty. It also means lack of restraint. We aren't free at all, we are reckless, and careless. I must say we are only free when we learn to control our selves and take what is needed and not what we want. Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. If you read was it Karl marx or Max wieber who suggested the idea about the "IRON CAGE"? Basically how people are imprissoned by their desire for various products, such as clothing, game consels, techknolegy, houses, transpartation and so on. We are the consumers, and we give certain companies power by buying their products. Only thing is people have to wake up and see that buying something as seemingly uninportant as tissue can have a big impact on the world.

So when I say we don't have freedom, I mean that people don't seem to care to pull themselves out of this foolishness.

Any who I hope that gives you something worth reading and what not. Peace be with you.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 05:39 AM

Hi, destinesht!

There is quite a bit of information that can be found concerning this by clicking on the following link.

Stratification of American Society - Google Search

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In sociology can [ 4 Answers ]

Can sociologists conduct exerimental designs ? And if you know this could you please give me some examples?:confused::confused:

For my sociology [ 3 Answers ]

Peopl I need back up answers please. You see I have a debate this coming Wednesday and I need real help from you people! It's about Death penalty, we were the anti group and our enemy is the pro group... Okay so the question is " do we realy need death penalty? if yes please explain it if no...

Sociology [ 2 Answers ]

My exams are very near and I needed to know how we can criticise marx and weber individually in our own words ( our own criticisms).I would be thankful to you if you help me.

View more questions Search