Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AimeeN Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Introducing a kitten
    I have a 2 year old neutered male house cat and I am interested in getting a kitten. I am concerned about how my current cat would react to a new cat in the house. He is aggressive towards people. I don't want him to harm the new kitten and I don't want to stress him out. What are my options?
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2008, 11:16 AM

I've been down this road several times now, and I've found the most important thing early on is to be vigilant. My males have been exceptionally accepting and patient with little ones. There may be some hissing and growling at first, and so, as I say, you need to be watchful.

Keep in mind that the adult male may discipline the kitten from time to time. Mothers are pretty strict disciplinarians with their babies, and it may sometimes look like the big guy is going overboard when he's just teaching the kitten how to behave--he will likely pin the little guy down from time to time, wrap his mouth around his throat, knock into him. This is how cats communicate discipline with each other. But sometimes adult males can go overboard and they can be aggressive to newcomers--though, as I say, I've found them to be surprisingly forebearing. So make your presence felt during the introduction-phase; police them. But try to leave as light a footprint as possible.

Kittens are typically eager to please, and the new guy is likely to try very hard to make friends with his/her new big brother. And kittens sometimes go oeverboard in this regard, giving the adult too little space. So make sure your adult doesn't feel put-upon at every turn--pamper him a bit, let him do things the kitten isn't allowed to yet, etc. My cats have taught me the importance of this.

I hope this helps at least a little bit. And good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Introducing new pet kitten to old pet bull dog [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know if there's a proper procedure for introducing a 10-week old kitten to a 5-year old, 80 pound, English bulldog? The bulldog's been a little snappy around puppies. Not sure how he'll react to a new kitten in the house.

Will my older kitten ever be nice to my new kitten? [ 5 Answers ]

I have never had cats before. I adopted a male neutered kitten who is now 11 weeks old. Today, I adopted a 7 week old male neutered kitten, as a companion. I didn't realize the size difference would be so great until I got my new kitten home. 4lbs vs. 1.2lbs. My older cat seems to want to play, but...

View more questions Search