Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kejoriap Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 05:28 PM
    Allergy Duration After Elimination of Allergen
    For how long does an allergy last after exposure to allergen has been eliminated?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Is this some kind of homework question?

Think about it logically,It would depend on so many factors like length of exposure,intensity of exposure,medications introduced during?time while exposed.

Really now.

Call back with more info.
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 07:13 PM

kejoriap disagrees: It is demeaning and none useful

Well,what did I state that was none useful?

What are you trying to find out?

More information is required to find the real answer.

If this is a homework question,sorry we can't answer for you.The terms of service in Ask Me Help Desk states that we DO NOT DO YOUR WORK FOR YOU!

Please look into the rules.

The rating system is for factually incorrect information,I gave the information in opinion,not fact,your response has been wrongly registered and further negative remarks will be reported to the administration and appropriate action taken.

Dec 7, 2008, 07:33 PM

Boy KBC, you sure are bitter.
    I also just responded how I felt about your answer. Looks like you don't take feed back unless it is putting you in a pedestal. Relax. It isn't the things that we hear or see that irritates us, it is what we choose to process in our heads. I hope you have a better day another day and in the process you don't hurt others like you are doing now for no real reason. You could have answered my question like this: It all depends on what triggered it, if it was treated, and on the individual. Isn't that easier than to grype at someone you don't even know?
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kejoriap View Post
    Boy KBC, you sure are bitter.
    I also just responded how I felt about your answer. Looks like you don't take feed back unless it is putting you in a pedestal. Relax. It isn't the things that we hear or see that irritates us, it is what we choose to process in our heads. I hope you have a better day another day and in the process you don't hurt others like you are doing now for no real reason. You could have answered my question like this: It all depends on what triggered it, if it was treated, and on the individual. Isn't that easier than to grype at someone you don't even know?
    Thank you for your opinion.

Back to your question.

Is this for homework?

***note: perhaps if you would have added these additional questions (and possible answers) I might not have assumed that this is homework!

Dec 8, 2008, 08:00 AM

KBC thank you for your nicer response.
    KBC and LowTax4eva,
    No, it is not homework. I am a 43 year old grandma'. I just took my dog to three vets, paid nearly 400 to hear they needed more studies to know what is wrong with her. None had any idea what was wrong with her even after X-rays and two extensive blood work (80 bucks each). They're even suggestng another blood work. All of this in two days. They were recommending thousands of dollars in more imagery. Medication prescribed wasn't working. Surfing on the net, matching symptoms with blood work findings, I found out she just has an allergy reaction to a deworming treatment. After three days, struggling with my poor pooch, I gave her an antiallergy medicine and she is good as new. Symptoms magically disappeared. I exposed her to the triggers and nothing happened, she had no cough nor seizures. I just need to know for how long I might have to give her the antihistamine medication or expect the allergy to last. If you can't answer this question, please be nice about it and recommend maybe some literature you may know might have the info, or simply don't answer the question if you don't know the answer. If you have any suggestion, please be nice about it too. I don't know the answers to everything and you don't have to know all the answers to everything either you know. Please respect my lack of knowledge. What may be something obvious for some it may not be for others. We are all wired differently, that is what makes the world so exciting don't you think? ANd the reason this site was created right?
    I do appreciate your interest and time to answer, jut would have appreciated more if you would have said things in a nice way. There are nice ways to say things too you know.
    Once again, thank you for your answer and have a great day.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2008, 08:07 AM

Find the half-life of the de-worming treatment medication and multiply by 5. Nearly all of it will be gone by then.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2008, 12:59 PM
    KBC thank you for your nicer response.
    KBC and LowTax4eva,
    No, it is not homework. I am a 43 year old grandma'. I just took my dog to three vets, paid nearly 400 to hear they needed more studies to know what is wrong with her. None had any idea what was wrong with her even after X-rays and two extensive blood work (80 bucks each). They're even suggestng another blood work. All of this in two days. They were recomending thousands of dollars in more imagery. Medication prescribed wasnt working. Surfing on the net, matching symptoms with blood work findings, I found out she just has an allergy reaction to a deworming treatment. After three days, struggling with my poor pooch, I gave her an antiallergy medicine and she is good as new. Symptoms magically disappeared. I exposed her to the triggers and nothing happened, she had no cough nor seizures. I just need to know for how long I might have to give her the antihistamine medication or expect the allergy to last. If you can't answer this question, please be nice about it and recomend maybe some literature you may know might have the info, or simply don't answer the question if you don't know the answer. If you have any suggestion, please be nice about it too. I don't know the answers to everything and you don't have to know all the answers to everything either you know. Please respect my lack of knowledge. What may be something obvious for some it may not be for others. We are all wired differently, that is what makes the world so exciting dont you think? ANd the reason this site was created right?
    I do appreciate your interest and time to answer, jut would have appreciated more if you would have said things in a nice way. There are nice ways to say things too you know.
    Once again, thank you for your answer and have a great day.

I just got back from the Vet - I posted yesterday - with my German Shepherd who suddenly out of the blue has skin problems. I don't want to put her on steroids unless I have absolutely no choice but the Vet told me not to medicate her with over the counter unless the Pharmacist can "translate" the human dosage into canine dosages (which Pharmacists can do) because of the risk of liver/kidney problems.

She's a tall dog with enormous feet but I didn't realize she's now 130 pounds.

I bought antihistamines from the Vet - I'm sure there's a mark up but I trust her. What is your dog taking as anti allergy medication?

With her the Vet suspects food allergies and now comes the long process of trying to figure it out and I'm trying to see if anyone has any knowledge that might help.

Dec 10, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Thank you JudyKayTee. My dog is taking Zyrtec, of pediatric use. I consulted with the vet and was told it is the best and with least side effects.
    I put my dog on a holistic type of dog food three years ago and she improved her allergies dramatically. In the Spring and Fall she still seemed to have allergies at which time I also always deworm her as routine. Now I have found out it was worms that have triggered her allergies (tapeworms) which dogs can get through fleas and stepping or licking other dog's places where they urinate or defacate. Her stools rarely como out positive for parasites, yet I still deworm her. Now I know that is why the allergies went away for a period. I would try deworming your doggy, it won't hurt. And go from there. See if symptoms go away. They do with my dog. Just make sure you deworm in conjunction with antihistamine becaue if you're doggy is the allergic type, you don't want a scary episode like my doggy experienced last weekend due to deworming treatment. :) I also avoid strong odors in the house (perfumes, cleaning supplies like amonia or other strong smelling ones). I also spray the house with flea repelant that is for animal use. I avoid those that you cannot spray on the animal. I do not put flea collar nor flea repellant on her, it seemed to trigger her allergies. I used heartgaurd for a while then I couldn't buy it anymore due to monitary issues. You give it once monthly, it will kill any parasites inside and outside the dog :). To get her started again I had to redo blood exam which I couldn't afford and sadly my doggy caught fleas and more worms and I ultimately had to deal with last weekend's episode. I hope your doggy gets better like mine did.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I just got back from the Vet - I posted yesterday - with my German Shepherd who suddenly out of the blue has skin problems. I don't want to put her on steroids unless I have absolutely no choice but the Vet told me not to medicate her with over the counter unless the Pharmacist can "translate" the human dosage into canine dosages (which Pharmacists can do) because of the risk of liver/kidney problems.

She's a tall dog with enormous feet but I didn't realize she's now 130 pounds.

I bought antihistamines from the Vet - I'm sure there's a mark up but I trust her. What is your dog taking as anti allergy medication?

With her the Vet suspects food allergies and now comes the long process of trying to figure it out and I'm trying to see if anyone has any knowledge that might help.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2008, 11:53 AM

Spring and fall allergies might likely be tree pollen (spring) and ragweed in the fall. Ragweed generally ceases to be a problem after the first frost. Ragweed is probably the most nastyest. I know.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2008, 03:12 PM
    Thank you JudyKayTee. My dog is taking Zyrtec, of pediatric use. I consulted with the vet and was told it is the best and with least side effects.
    I put my dog on a holistic type of dog food three years ago and she improved her allergies dramatically. In the Spring and Fall she still seemed to have allergies at which time I also always deworm her as routine. Now I have found out it was worms that have triggered her allergies (tapeworms) which dogs can get through fleas and stepping or licking other dog's places where they urinate or defacate. Her stools rarely como out positive for parasites, yet I still deworm her. Now I know that is why the allergies went away for a period of time. I would try deworming your doggy, it won't hurt. And go from there. See if symptoms go away. They do with my dog. Just make sure you deworm in conjunction with antihistamine becaue if you're doggy is the allergic type, you don't want a scary episode like my doggy experienced last weekend due to deworming treatment. :) I also avoid strong odors in the house (perfumes, cleaning supplies like amonia or other strong smelling ones). I also spray the house with flea repelant that is for animal use. I avoid those that you cannot spray on the animal. I do not put flea collar nor flea repellant on her, it seemed to trigger her allergies. I used heartgaurd for a while then i couldn't buy it anymore due to monitary issues. You give it once monthly, it will kill any parasites inside and outside the dog :). To get her started again I had to redo blood exam which I couldn't afford and sadly my doggy caught fleas and more worms and I ultimately had to deal with last weekend's episode. I hope your doggy gets better like mine did.
    My dogs see the Vet every 6 months for checkups so I know they are OK as far as worms, parasites, etc. I am very careful about what's in the house (my husband had any number of allergies). Neither one has fleas. Like you, I've heard horror stories about flea collars and "do it yourself" and have never used them. They do take Heartguard.

I appreciate the heads up on Zyrtec - last night she was just clawing at herself, despite the shot, and I just want her to have some relief. I have to take her back on Friday if she's no better and I will ask the Vet.

I have also switched her food, raw, canned and kibble to completely different brands/things.

It's like a jigsaw puzzle!

Thanks for the info - and good luck with your doggie, too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Duration [ 1 Answers ]

I do not know how to get started, I need to find the duration of a fixed rate loan. Fixed rate loan asset is 65 million Have 5 year maturity, are priced at par and pay 12 percent annual interest. Thank you

Duration for ICWAI [ 4 Answers ]

How long does it ideally take to complete the ICWAI course?

Sponor Duration [ 1 Answers ]

Does this mean that the sponsor will be wholly responsible for the sponsored immigrant when he/she enters the US for a total of 3 yrs? These amendments require that the income and resources ofany person who, as the sponsor of an alien's entry into theUnited States, executes an affidavit of...

Duration of probate [ 1 Answers ]

My father-in-law passed away in PA 2 1/2 years ago with a will, which went into probate. Only once an attorney contacted us with the information that there is an outstanding 'I owe you', but that this has to be cleared up since it seemed to fall under the 'statute of limitation'. Questions: 1....

View more questions Search