Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Dec 7, 2008, 07:01 AM
    How much time to file a motion to a court.
    State of NY

How much time do I have to file a motion to a court for an order denying the use of any postjudgment enforcement procedure and what are acceptable reasons for filing one? This is for a judgment from a previous landlord that I still need to fight somehow. I do not owe it. Thanks for any help.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by trmpldonagn View Post
    State of NY

How much time do I have to file a motion to a court for an order denying the use of any postjudgment enforcement procedure and what are acceptable reasons for filing one? This is for a judgment from a previous landlord that I still need to fight somehow. I do not owe it. Thanks for any help.

Are you talking about attempting to set aside a Judgment? Once that Judgment is granted I am not aware - at least in NY, which is where I am - of any postjudgment procedure to stay enforcement.

If you file to set the Judgment aside and have grounds to do so, the Court very well may order a stay.

Did you appear to defend yourself and lose the case or not appear?

This should be combined with the other, same post.

Dec 7, 2008, 07:09 AM

I appeared and lost the case. I gave proof to the judge but it he still went against me. My previous LL said that I didn't pay rent to get me out of the apt. asap to avoid citations from the health dept. I couldn't appeal it in time because I had pneumonia (from the apt.). Someone told me that my LL and his lawyer knew the judge but I don't think that matters these days. Thanks.
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 08:18 AM
    I appeared and lost the case. I gave proof to the judge but it he still went against me. My previous LL said that I didn't pay rent to get me out of the apt. asap to avoid citations from the health dept. I couldn't appeal it in time because I had pneumonia (from the apt.). Someone told me that my LL and his lawyer knew the judge but I don't think that matters these days. Thanks.

Unless you have some very strong, legal grounds for appeal I don't see you either stopping collection or setting the Judgment aside.

Do you have legal grounds to set it aside?

Dec 7, 2008, 09:01 AM

Hi JudyKay. Thanks for replying. I'll try to make this brief. I gave the judge a letter dated Oct 30th from the LL to me stating he just wanted to take back the premises. Nothing in that letter stated anything about owing Oct rent. On Nov 3rd, I received a 3 day pay or quit stating I did not pay OCT or NOV. I always had till the 15th anyway. The judge should have seen that there was no mention of past due rent, especially OCT, in that letter dated Oct 30th. The LL received a citation from the health dept on Nov 1st. I suddenly received a 3 day pay or quit on Nov 3rd. It was obvious what the LL was trying to do. Thank you again.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 7, 2008, 10:59 AM
    I'm sorry but the letter you received from the landlord on Oct. 30th is not proof that there was no rent due. The landlord was merely terminating the tenancy and may have been using language from a standard form. There is no law that requires the landlord to state that rent is due when they are terminating a tenancy for another reason.

If you have any other type of proof that you paid the rent then you may be able to file a motion to set aside the judgment. Didn't you mention in another post that you had a tape recording of the landlord? If that tape recording gives any kind of proof that the landlord knew you had paid the rent then you have a case.

Dec 7, 2008, 02:12 PM

Thank you Lisa. Very much. I didn't know I could go back to court with the tape. I thought since it was litigated that that was the end of it.
    I did see something online where you can file a motion for a re-hearing so I'll see how that goes. Thanks again. All of you are always very helpful even when I'm just reading other questions and answers.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 7, 2008, 02:37 PM
    If you have a tape where he admits that he received the rent then you have proof that he has committed perjury. :)

Dec 7, 2008, 04:36 PM

The tough part... when I said, on the tape, "You know I gave you the rent," there was just silence on the other end of the line. This was recorded over the phone. I believe that's not agreement or denial. At least I'll bet the lawyer and/or the judge will say that. Thank you again very much. I'll just have to wait and see what happens. Thanks again and happy holidays.
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 06:12 PM
    The tough part.... when I said, on the tape, "You know I gave you the rent," there was just silence on the other end of the line. This was recorded over the phone. I believe that's not agreement or denial. At least I'll bet the lawyer and/or the judge will say that. Thank you again very much. I'll just have to wait and see what happens. Thanks again and happy holidays.

That's you saying something and him not replying.

Come back and let us know how it works out.

Dec 8, 2008, 06:24 PM

I will. Thanks again and have a great one!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file a motion to dismiss for time barred debt in small claims Texas [ 8 Answers ]

Cause of action date of March 15 1999 when last payment was to be made per plantiff's exhibit in complaint. Statutes of limitation is 4 years. I did submit answer with general denial and affirmative defense of statute already but still set for negotiation. Want to submit motion to dismiss...

Motion for Non-Compliance With Court Order [ 8 Answers ]

I received an Order in the Special Civil Part, Law Division (NJ) for Plaintiff (debt collection action against me) where in it specifies that the plaintiff is to provide me with copies of the original loan documentation regarding the suit against me. They forwarded me partial information and I ...

In need of legal form to motion the court [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I'm looking for a free legal form to motion the court to unseal my adoption records. It's for an emergency, I've lost my social security card and my residence card, they will not give me either since my name has been changed through adoption. If anyone can help please post on here or email me...

How to file motion for discovery [ 1 Answers ]

How does one file a motion for discovery in Michigan? I understand it is sent to the lawyer for the side who is suing me. Do I send a copy to the court? Is there a particular format that needs to be used? Do I need to send it registered or certified or return receipt requested? TIA, Lil

View more questions Search