Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jimmyfixitall Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Dec 6, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Replacing fluidmaster 400 series
    I work in apartment maintenance and have discovered a shortcut, but I want to make sure its not going to cause problems in the future. When replacing a fluidmaster fill valve, is it OK to remove it at the height adjustment ring, rather than removing the whole thing? It's not so much to be lazy, a lot of our shut offs don't hold all the way even after tightening the packing nut there is still a trickle, but this way any water would stay in the tank.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2008, 11:40 AM

To remove the top part of the valve you still have to turn the water off, but if you turn the water off it would be OK for you to do it the way you said.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Hey Jimmy fixitall...

YUP! I do this all the time at apartment buildings.. works like a charm! There are no working parts on the stub left. Just be sure to hear/feel the CLICK of the snap ring and you should be all set!1

MARK
    Jimmyfixitall Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Dec 6, 2008, 12:57 PM

Thanks guys! I didn't think it would be a problem, but I'm glad to hear it from some experts. I've been replacing these things for 10 years now, I wish I would have thought of this sooner! - Jimmy
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 03:50 PM
    For what it is worth...

Fluidmaster changed the size of the stubbed pipe so you may not be able to swap the newer ones out with older models...

But as we all know, you can swap out new with newer types... at least until they change the size of the stubbed piece again! ;)

I swear :rolleyes:
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 05:54 PM

Great info here. Ive been changing top part only for quite some time(untill they changed pipe size, argh!! Why change a good thing.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2008, 08:06 PM

Have any of you guys seen the original Fluidmaster ballcock, it is the 400 model. It was somewhat like the 400-A except all of the top was stainless steel and the diaphram was different, I installed a lot of these back in the late 60's and through the 70's a lot of them were still working until it became so hard to get the diaphrams.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 08:18 PM

Nope, haven't run across that monster yet. Course I was just a baby when you were installing them. Lol.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Screeching Fluidmaster type 400 Float valve [ 8 Answers ]

Hi About 8 months ago I fitted Fluidmaster type 400 Float valve to my toilet cistern. It has recently started to make a (loud) screeching noise at the start of the flush. Any thoughts on cause and cure. Cheers David:)

Does replacing outside A/C unit require replacing inside unit [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old 10SEER Trane outside and inside unit. The coil is leaking freon in a few spots. The first technician gave me a quote to replace the outside and inside air handler with a 13SEER for around $4800. The second technician I called came out and suggested only replacing the outside...

View more questions Search