Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2008, 09:24 PM
    Tile debonded
    I have a 12"X12" tile installed in our leaving room total area of 10X5 feet, four of them are deboned and raised about 1/8", what needs to be done to restore it back and what will be the case, there is nothing in that area under the tile I mean no plumbing or any thing else, it is approximately 7 years old, Thanks.

Best Regards,
    John
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 5, 2008, 05:42 AM
    Hi John...

Remove the tiles that are loose... ALL OF THEM. Then scrape the old thinset out so that you can see the floor under it.

Then take some screws and re-screw the floor to the joists if you can find them.

Then, plan on purchasing a thinset mortar (dry mix is fastest and strongest) and mix and trowel out on floor using a 1/4" notch trowel. Install tiles so they are level with other floor tiles, let dry 24 hours and then re-grout all. Let that dry 24 hours before any traffic.

Hope that is what you were asking. Check the tile DRY FIT first and then see if adding that mortar will raise tile out of floor... if so, let me know so we can discuss that.

Let me know if need more info. Here.

MARK
    shoproland Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Dec 5, 2008, 04:47 PM

John, if your subfloor is concrete, then follow Mark's resolution to the tee. If you are on pier and beam, there could be an alternate fix. If the subfloor is wood, follow Mark's instructions all the way up to the thinset stage. Instead of thinset, I have had great success with top grade construction adhesive. Liq.Nls. Or equivalent. Let cure 24 hours and grout. Good Luck
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2008, 05:23 PM

Hello Mark and shoproland,

My subfloor is concrete, I am out of country and returning home next week, my wife has removed one piece of the tile and tells me that it has some kind of paper (Fabric) glued to the slab and then mortar and tile, my question is when I lay the tile do I need to install the fabric or just install it with out it, Thanks.

Regards,
    John
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 5, 2008, 05:34 PM
    Tile on top of tile John..? If so and that membrane failed it will probably continue to fail and then entire floor is at risk.

If not a membrane but more of a backing for the tile then you should just need to install thinset mortar and you should be all set.

See if you can post a pic. Of the floor/membrane/tile when you get home and we'll see what we can come up with!

See you! MARK
    shoproland Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Dec 5, 2008, 05:39 PM

I believe you should be able to scrape the area clean and use thinset with an acrylic admix to rebond. Allow a day to cure and regrout. When you go to regrout, make sure to saw out some of the existing grout to give an extra toe hold for the new tile and grout. Good luck... Roland
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2008, 05:50 PM

I haven't seen it yet, I think it is not a membrane, it sounds like a backing for the tile, I will let you know when I come back home next week, Thank.

Regards,

John
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Dec 5, 2008, 10:16 PM
    Does anyone know what that paper or membrane could be? I've never seen tile with a membrane other than a backer board or subfloor. I'm very curious now and want to know what it is. If you could post a picture that would be great.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 05:18 AM
    Hi Amsteube...

John has sid he is pretty sure that it is not a membrane in this case.

There is a fracture membrane they sell that allows for some pretty serious movement from the floor below before tiles will come loose...

I will try to get a name on this product and post back over the next couple of days...

MARK
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Dec 6, 2008, 07:46 AM

Daltile makes dal-cim 500 crack isolation membrane this could be the product
    If this is the case you may still have some movement
    I would just replace the area as needed, and see how it holds up:)
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2008, 04:54 PM

Hello Mark,

I returned back from the trip and work on my tile yesterday removed and installed per your instructions used the thinest mortar ,and didn’t use the backup paper, see the attach pictures, Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
    John
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 10, 2008, 04:45 AM
    Nice job John!
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 09:53 AM

Thanks Mark, with your help.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by afaroo View Post
    Hello Mark,

I returned back from the trip and work on my tile yesterday removed and installed per your instructions used the thinest mortar ,and didn’t use the backup paper, see the attach pictures, Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
    John
    That looks great,I have been following this thread to see what you had and now seeing the result, real good job!

I have some you could help me with here in Illinois, want a side job??
    Just kidding...

KBC
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 10:38 AM

Thanks KBC

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is tile bullnose baseboard installed before or after floor tile? [ 8 Answers ]

My porcelain tile comes with a bullnose that I want to use as the baseboard. I found a response to another question, stating that the floor should be installed first, but I want a grout line between the floor tile and the baseboard, it would be very hard to make it uniform if the floor is...

Ceramic tile over self adhesive vinyl tile work? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a small bathroom with self-adhesive vinyl tile on the floor. Can I put ceramic tile over this vinyl tile?

Removing grout from tile to reuse tile [ 5 Answers ]

We had our kitchen remodeled last year and removed/saved the old tile. We are now doing a bathroom and want to reuse the tile. How do I remove old grout from the back of tile so I can reuse the tile?

Cleanest method of merging between tile & drywall/tile & tub [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there guys, I'm drywalling my tub enclosure, preparing for tile, and I've got two questions before I continue: 1) In the past, I've simply placed the rockboard/drywall line about two inches below the terminating line of tile. Is this the best way to handle this? Do you simply bevel the...

View more questions Search