Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccsdaddyx2 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 05:17 PM
    What acts like an egr valve on my 2000 lexus rx 300
    My lexus rx 300 is sending a code saying that there is a problem with the egr valve.I called the dealership and they said it doesn't have an egr valve. Could anyone help me with this? When I drive it runs a little rough also when I'm on the highway at 60mph the rpm stays at 4000 really high.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2008, 06:29 PM

. Change the platinum spark plugs, using the exact brand and plug no. that came with the car (likely NGKs). Gap plugs to .044 inch.

. Check for vacuum leaks on all emission control hoses.

. Start using 5W-30 full-synthetic engine oil; e.g. Mobil 1. This will improve performance, engine life, gas mileage, and reduce emission control sludge. Change every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

. Clean Idle Air Control Valve/hoses, throttle plate, and throttle body. Ensure all ports are clean. Change air filter, if it hasn't been replaced in the last 25,000 miles.

What exact code was thrown?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 10:55 AM

Good question, tx. What was the code?

Dec 6, 2008, 01:27 PM
    [QUOTE=CaptainRich;1412667]Good question, tx. What was the code?[/QUOTE

it was my wife who got her car checked at an oriley's so they didn't give her the code. The man just said it was an egr valve code so I got it checked myself at an autozone. They said it was sending a random missfire in cylnders 4 and 5. so I changed all the plugs today and cleaned the throtle body. Now the car won't start at all... I think I might need to clean the iac valve and hope that will fix the problem. Checked every connection and its good. Any help with this would be great.
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2008, 03:23 PM

For random missfires, on cylinders 4 and 5, replace the coil-on-plugs:

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

Dec 6, 2008, 11:39 PM

Well I got the car to start now but it still runs a little rough. There is still the check engine light blinking while I drive but didn't have time to get it checked. I could only spray electric parts cleaner through the slot in the throtle body to clean the iac valve and that worked to get it started. Coils or new iac valve? The car runs fine at rpms and just a little rough on the idle.
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 07:05 AM

Misfires are coil-related. Either the coils are not properly installed on cylinder 4 and 5 or they are likely bad. Did you ensure the plugs were gapped properly (.044 inch)? This can also cause misfires. It's also important to lightly coat the porcelain and electrode with dielectric grease. Good technique is more important than ever on modern-day cars.

Dec 7, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey View Post
    Misfires are coil-related. Either the coils are not properly installed on cylinder 4 and 5 or they are likely bad. Did you ensure the plugs were gapped properly (.044 inch)? This can also cause misfires. It's also important to lightly coat the porcelain and electrode with dielectric grease. Good technique is more important than ever on modern-day cars.
    When I changed the plugs I pulled the 4 and 5 coil and put them easily accessible in the front got the car scanned today at the local auto zone still the same code on the lexus form at club lexus people having the same problem as me they say to clean the iac valve to fix the rough idle.

Dec 7, 2008, 01:30 PM

I just don't think that it's the coil because they look fine no burn spots or signs of getting hot.
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 01:33 PM

Yes, cleaning the IACV should definitely help the idle. Not sure it will cause the misfire codes to go away--it's certainly worth a try, however.
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 01:35 PM
    You can't tell by looking at most bad components that they are bad. This is especially true with ignitors and coils. The proof will be if misfire codes return or not, after cleaning the IACV.

Dec 10, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey View Post
    Yes, cleaning the IACV should definitely help the idle. Not sure it will cause the misfire codes to go away--it's certainly worth a try, however.
    It was the coil packs.
    I changed the two and all is good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repair diagnosis for trouble code P0171 for 2000 Lexus, RX300 [ 15 Answers ]

I just replaced O2 sensor and now check engine light came back on after driving 30 miles. I took to local Aotozone store and they identified as trouble code P0171. Any recommendations for diy repair, what part may be gone bad which sends computer this error code? I am willing to take challenge to...

How to Change PCV Valve on 2000 Ford Taurus, with 3.0 L Duratec Engine [ 0 Answers ]

1. Disconnect battery cables (negative first). 2. Disconnect MAF Sensor connector. 3. Remove air filter. 4. Disconnect hoses (3) going to air intake. 5. Remove air intake.

Lexus RX300 year 2000 Cup holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I just purchased a 2000 Lexus RX300 and the cupholders for both front and back seats are missing. I have looked at several different auto parts dealers online and no one seems to have that replacement part. Any suggestions as to where and the cheapest way to get those cupholders? Thanks for...

Evap canister and valve for honda civic lx 2000 [ 1 Answers ]

Just curious how much parts and labor should be for replacing canister and evap valve for my car. Auto shop said around 450.00 $ just wondering if I'm about to be hosed or not...

View more questions Search