Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Dec 4, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Funeral Assignment
    I just couldn't find exact category for my question. I'm beneficiary for someone in a
    Nursing home. She is dying. I have been asked by hospice to make some arrangements.
    The Insurance company has a very small policy for her but it will take a few weeks to
    Send me the check, they said. They suggested when she dies that I do an assignment
    With a funeral home and they will take care of the expenses. I'm not sure this is the
    Way to go. Any advice would be welcome. Maybe I will also put this question in the
    Legal category.
    Maggie 3 Posts: 262, Reputation: 41

Dec 5, 2008, 09:51 PM
    I don't know what you mean when you said they will take care of expenses. But what you should do ,if you have permission from family, is to cremate.
    Since you seem to have the resposibility I would say that it is your call. Cremation is the most econonical. Look for an independent crematorium. That is a place not connected to a funeral home. You get the ashes then at your time you can have services anywhere you want and at what time you want, 6 monthe later or later or earlier. If the only crematorium belongs to funeral home just have the body cremated without any additional services from the funeral home. So get out the yellow pages and start looking and calling. Remember you don't have to have a funeral service if you don.t want it.
    If you want to have one call a funeral home and talk to them about arrangements.

Maggie 3
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 5, 2008, 10:21 PM

If you don't want to write them a check and wait on the insurance money this is often done.

The issue is you have to pick out and arrange the funeral and the cost. Then you get the difference of the check and the cost.

How small is the check, a funeral without the plot averages about 7 thousand

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

When to take children to a funeral? [ 2 Answers ]

At what age do you feel its appropriate to take a child to a funeral of a distant relative whom they've only met a couple of times?

Songs for Funeral [ 20 Answers ]

My cousin/best friend's fiancé died this past weekend in an accident involving dirt bikes (motorized)! They have a three week old son together. She is (obviously) very devistated as are we all! We are trying to help her out as much as possible! My question is... she asked my help in picking...

The Funeral [ 4 Answers ]

A man was leaving a café with his morning coffee when he noticed a most Unusual funeral procession approaching the nearby cemetery. A long black Hearse was followed by a second long black hearse about 50 feet behind The first. Behind the second hearse was a solitary man walking a Pit-bull on a...

Funeral etiquette [ 5 Answers ]

Is it acceptable to place a "donations" box out at a funeral service?

Not going to a funeral? [ 6 Answers ]

So my "best" friend and I haven't really been getting along lately. I really think that it's the turning point in our lives (going to college) and we're going separate ways. We just seem to be changing really fast, or it's just me. Her cousin committed suicide and she doesn't want to go to the...

View more questions Search