Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2006, 11:27 AM
    Unscrupulous HVAC Technicians
    Unscrupulous HVAC Technicians often use the symptoms arising from a bad run capacitor or contactor to sell a trusting homeowner a whole new air conditioner. If you have a quality air conditioner and furnace, and properly maintain it, it should last 25 to 30 years. If in doubt, always get second and third opinions.
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jul 3, 2006, 02:41 PM
    We called what we thought was a trusted HVAC company in our area to come out and look at our 8 yo ac/heat pump. He looked at it all of 5 minutes and declared we need a new one.

As I was showing him to the door, he declared we owed him $45 for his "service" call. Ha! A quick chewing on the ear of whoever answered their phone took care of that.

If someone tells you that you need to replace a relatively young opinion--especially when they don't take the time to thoroughly check it out, get a 2nd (or 3rd!) opinion!
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jul 3, 2006, 10:44 PM
    There are unscrupulous folk in all facets of the service industry.
    Don't get me started! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nail Technicians [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently looking to train to become a Nail Technician. There are so many courses available that it seems impossible to decide on which one is value for money and provides the right skills I require. I would appreciate any responses in respect of any good or bad experiences or any...

Crime lab technicians [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have this science project due the 11th and its about crime lab technicians, their salary, job description, lab equipment,where they would work, requirements for the job,and other info. But I can't find anything at all!! Hurry please!!

HVAC Transformer? Please help! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, while changing my old thermostat to a new one I Didn't realize I had the wrong circuit breaker tripped In my home. Turns out that the new thermostat is not Compatible to the wiring in my house(I think) and After hook up there was no power to the thermostat. I Put the old one back on with...

Controlling HVAC with X10 Relay [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to turn off my AC when the Patio door and or windows are left open for 3 min. I am currently using Homeseer along with the Gemini Napco Plugin. I can detect the opening and closing of the door and window zones and then create an event to trigger an X10 command after 3 minutes to a...

View more questions Search