Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    4rockaway Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 03:41 PM
    Show apartment to new renters
    4rockaway from New York State (Pat)
    I gave a written notice to one of my tenant's of not renewing the lease, also that I will give advance notice of showing the apartment while they is still living there, they said they have rights and I can't do that.
    As a landlord am I in my legal rights to show the apartment to possible renter while the present tenant is still living there? The notice was noterize and certified 3 months in advance of expiration date.:confused:
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2008, 06:28 AM
    Hello 4:

In your lease you should have given yourself the opportunity to inspect your property with 24 hours notice. Apparently, you didn't do that.

If it were me, I'd just let 'em move out before I tried to rent it again. You KNOW, if you try to show it, they're going to have a dirty apartment and they're going to say bad things about you to your prospective tenant...

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 07:07 AM

What does the actual lease say about showing the apartment. You have a right if you have it listed in the lease. This is a common practice, renters don't like it, and often complain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to prevent PowerPoint slide show viewers from editing the show [ 1 Answers ]

I have a powerpoint presentation with custom animation (pictures fading in automatically and music playing in the background) that I want to sent to people as a Slide Show to view but NOT allow them to change. There are no settings in PowerPoint to protect against edits and Microsoft's web site...

Issues from previous renters death in our apartment [ 2 Answers ]

We moved to Ft Myers, FL in mid-October. Before we signed the lease the manager informed us that someone had died in the unit we wanted to rent. No details were given as to how they passed away and we didn't ask. A week after we moved in I noticed a funny smell coming from the new carpet in the...

Renters Right [ 6 Answers ]

I live in upstate NY - near Albany. I rent a house with my wife and three kids. I was served a copy of notice of foreclosure against my landlord on this property (no payments since July 07). What are my rights? Am I going to be kicked on the street during the winter now? My lease expired in...

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

Kansas State Renters Law for Renters [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Lenexa, Kansas a part of Johnson County Kansas. I need to know What the law is governing renters rights when it comes to repair of things Like garbage disposals etc. I also need to know if it is a requirement of the Law to have shades or blinds furnished by landlord or if this is the...

View more questions Search