Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cyndie Matthee Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 10:43 PM
    Ernst Koch & Engel Upright piano - Age & Value?
    I have a very old Ernst Koch & Engel piano, and I'm trying to find out in which year this piano was manufactured, and what it's approximate value is.

On the sound board itself, the is a number "1A"

On the inside, on the back as well as the side panel, the number 11516 is punched.

Any guidance or help will be much appreciated!

Kind regards

Cyndie
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 03:16 AM

Hi, Cyndie!

There are many factors which will come into play as far as the possible monetary value of an old upright piano. Some of them might not have to do with the age at all, but whether it's really still a viable musical instrument or not.

Below, are just a few starting questions for you.

Do all of the notes play? When was the last time that it was tuned? If you know when the last time was that it was tuned, does it hold to the standard pitch of A=440 when it has been tuned, please?

Just for a little background on me, I've been a piano tuner/technician since 1974 and am also a professional pianist. I've restored lots of pianos...

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 10:59 PM

I do hope that you'll return Cyndie, because this is definitely my kind of question!

Dec 1, 2008, 11:20 PM

Hi there,

All of the notes play... I do not know when the last time was it was tuned, and I actually have no clue what a A+440 is...

Not very helpful... sorry...

I'm actually more interested in the age of the piano...
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 11:28 PM

Thanks, Cyndie!

Your original question had to do with both the age and the possible monetary value of the instrument. For an old upright piano, the age isn't so much a determining factor in it's monetary value as what kind of playing condition that it might be in.

If we can determine the playing condition as well as the overall appearance of the piano, then those factors will help the most in determining the possible monetary value of it.

Thanks!

Dec 1, 2008, 11:35 PM

The piano is in almost perfect condition. It needs polishing, and tuning. I had the tuner here yesterday, and he was very impressed with the piano.

Unfortunately, he has no knowledge of a Ernst Koch & Engel.

We currently live in India, but the piano was brought with us from South Africa.

Dec 1, 2008, 11:36 PM
    I could send you pictures of the piano...
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 11:48 PM

Pictures of the piano posted right on this thread would be very helpful!

Are you saying that the piano has been freshly tuned and is up to pitch?

As far as looking up the age of your piano, I will need to dig out my books about that. I do have the Names, serial numbers as well as the dates of manufacture for literally hundreds of pianos.

Unfortunately, I have been trying to move most of my library of books into an upstairs location, so it might take me a bit of time to locate the books that I need because they are all packed away in boxes.

Most likely, your piano is listed in those books, but I can't guarantee that.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 11:52 PM
    According to the following site, Piano: Koch & Engel the production of your piano began in 1896 in Berlin, Germany.

I have editions of the same book that you'll find mentioned on the site.
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 12:07 AM

I'm going to need to go to bed now, Cyndie. You can see where I'm located underneath my avatar. It's about 1:00 A.M. in the morning here and I have to get up to go to work in the morning.

I'm usually on this site a couple of hours before this time for at least a few hours after that. I would really love to discuss your piano with you more! But, it would be best to do that at another time.

If you could post some images of it on this thread, that would be great!

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a Schaff Bros. Upright piano seriel # 35301, is it worth anything? [ 2 Answers ]

We have an old Schaff Bros. piano. The body is not too good and not all of the keys work. Is there any chance it is worth anything? If not, I am going to take it apart and make something of the wood! Traci

Age of Francis Bacon Piano - Upright [ 11 Answers ]

I'm sorry this is a long post, I'm just trying to include as much information as I can. Hello, I just bought a Francis Bacon piano and I have been looking around for someone to tell me a little more about it. This is the only forum (and one of a handful of websites) that even gets the age of...

Old upright piano [ 5 Answers ]

I have an old upright piano. I am moving and would like to know if this is worth anything or should I junk it?

Meldorf Upright Player Piano [ 1 Answers ]

How can I find the value of my Meldorf Player Piano ? Patent May 30, 1899, Nov. 28, 1911, May 28, 1916

View more questions Search