Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ehoff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 06:37 PM
    Replacing a lead flange
    How do I replace the lead toilet flange into a cast iron main stack? Is it difficult? Hesitate to do the work myself, afraid of a leak down the road. Many thanks for your suggestions, directions!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Hey Ehoff:

A professional should cut old lead pipe and then melt out old lead joint, install a PVC manhoff fitting and oakum material into the bell of the cast iron fitting and then pour a new lead joint. From here new PVC elbow, pipe and flange. This can be very dangerous and is best left to a pro.

A homeowner is probably best to cut the lead pipe at the swelled area of the lead pipe (use sawzall with bimetal blade)... just before the lead pipe enters the cast iron fitting. This is a brass fitting (leading ferrule) that allowed the lead to be melted/wiped/joined to the cast iron fitting. For now, cut in front of the swelled area of the lead pipe. Examine the brass fitting and then cut the fitting where the lead best joins so that you can use a shielded clamp (see picture) to transition from this fitting to PVC.

If the fit is not good at the brass ferrule/fitting then you may need to mess around with shielded clamp sizes... may even need to melt the lead off the brass ferule itself and then make connection.

This can be a tricky fit/job to do.. so if want guarantees of no leaks then you may want to consult a pro. Here.

You can also try to cut the lead pipe behind the turn up and see if you can attach a clamp onto the lead pipe itself. Try this first if you have time to mess around. Cut lead pipe at ferrule second and then opt. for the plumber if necessary.

Finally, if you have a small hole in the lead pipe then you may be able to PATCH the lead pipe using a plumber's epoxy or JBWELD epoxy... see this site... www.jbweld.com This can be good option if looking to delay a remodel a year or so... :)

You would order a 4" shielded clamp, a 4" x 3" pvc reducing bushing, 3" pvc pipe, and a 4"x3" pvc closet flange, and cement and primer. Include a new wax gasket, a pair of 5/16" johnnie bolts, and a squeeze tube of caulking to caulk around 3/4 of the base of the toilet if you want a crisp, finished look... ;)

Let us know what you think...

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New flange to lead [ 1 Answers ]

Replacing a toilet and putting tile on cellar floor. Waste line is lead in concrete floor. Have read that flange needs to go on top of new tile. Does flange slide over outside of lead pipe? What do I then do with lead that sticks up? Bend it over flange? Will wax seal then seal everything? ...

Lead toilet flange [ 8 Answers ]

I removed my old toilet to replace it and the old flange was a brass ring and a lead flange bent over the ring the lead flange is connected to a copper waste line. I straightened the lead out carefully and removed the brass ring and replaced some of the floor. Now I want to put a new flange in. ...

Lead toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

Private Message: lead toilet flange Yesterday, 06:37 PM Redjames New Member Join Date: Mar 2008 Posts: 1 He I saw some of your postings as was wondering if I could ask you a question. I removed my old toilet to replace it and the old flange was a brass ring and a lead flange bent...

Replacing a brass closet flange on a lead pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, so I'm renovating my bathroom and running into some issues with the old plumbing. Here is a link to some pictures of the situation which will do a much better job at describing things than I can. Picasa Web Albums - Jonathan - plumbing Obviously the ideal situation would be to...

Replacing a toilet flange with a lead connection [ 6 Answers ]

I am about to pull up my old toilet and take a close look at what's underneath. I am also going to go over the original plank sub-floor with fresh 3/8" ply (followed later with thin lauan for eventual linoleum) there is a visible floor patch from an old repair. Given the fact that there has been a...

View more questions Search