Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alcmtr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Freon smell in living room
    I don'tknow if this is where I need to be but here goes. We have a freon type smell in the living room of our house. I think it is coming from a vent that is underneath a 12' window. We've had this smell for about 2 years or so. We've changed the filters about every other month or so. There's nothing around the air conditioning. This is the only room that has the smell.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 01:18 PM
    I have used freon(Dupont trade mark) refrigerant for many years and never smelled it. Now the oil mist that is in the refrigerant can be smelled.

What does the vent do that you feel the odor is coming from?

Do you have a gas furnace that vents to the outside near the window?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 01:18 PM

I know for sure that freon smells like propane (freon has no scent). The manufacturers have to make it smell like something in order to control the substance because of its high toxicity. I don't know the number for the environmental protection agency in the States, but I think you should be calling them to report it.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2008, 05:25 PM

There are requirement for vent locations and under a window isn't one of them. It may have to be relocated.
    Can you take a pic and post using "go advanced" feature of the forum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Freon smell affect for hvac tech [ 2 Answers ]

Is freon r 12/ r 134/ r 22 good to smell ? I work in cfc , is it dangerous to smell ? What can cause ? Thanks

Circuit breaker OK, but no electricity in living room/dining room [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 100 year old farm home. The lights went out in living room and dining room Thanksgiving night. The circuit breaker appears normal and the panel is OK. What went wrong?

Leaking living room [ 2 Answers ]

Every time there is a heavy rain water comes up through the floor against one wall. I also have a problem with standing water on half of my yard. Are these connected or 2 different problems. Yes, I have a french drain

Sewer smell in living room [ 7 Answers ]

New to the forum and I am impressed with the content. I have looked everywhere on Google and this and other forums, for an answer to my problem. I have a 5 year old bungalow on a septic system that has an absorbent well instead of a weeping field. We have been experiencing a sewer smell in our...

Problem With Toilet And Bad Smell In Living Room [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am hoping for some general advice before I start shelling out. We got our bathroom upgraded recently - (new shower toilet and bath) and all was fine for a few weeks - so I don't know if subsequent problems were caused by this or it's just coincidence. We live in one of the ground...

View more questions Search