Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rachelm1123 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Nov 30, 2008, 04:44 AM
    Pre-partum psychosis
    I am late in pregnancy - 37 weeks... I have diagnosed PTSD and bipolar disorder, but have been off medication for about 3 years, and have been stable.

I have recently been having disturbing dreams and "fantasies" about killing my entire family. Of course, this is NOT normal for me - and I have been trying to find some information on the web about prepartum psychosis, with no luck.

I know there is postpartum psychosis that occurs within a few days after the baby is born. What is the deal with prepartum psychosis, though? And what should I do? I don't have the feelings all the time - in fact just every once and a while - in the form of nightmares and such. I don't feel like an inpatient mental health treatment would be beneficiary, and in fact, may exaberate symptoms. Any thoughts?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 06:39 AM
    I am so glad to hear that you are concerned and are looking for info and possible help with this. I read an abstract on an article from the National Institute of Health (I will copy and paste the abstract) that states that women who suffer from pre partum psychosis have a higher risk of developing post partum psychosis.

Prepartum psychosis. [J Affect Disord. 1990] - PubMed Result

Four patients are described who suffered from postpartum psychosis, and also from similar episodes starting in late pregnancy. It is argued that these patients provide evidence for the prepartum onset of postpartum psychosis in a small minority of patients. The relevance of this to the aetiology of puerperal psychosis is discussed.
    Here is another link that describes the relationship of pre partum psychosis with post partum psychosis. I could not copy and paste this article, I can only post the link.

SpringerLink - Journal Article

Again, I am happy to see that you are concerned about the health and welfare of you, your baby and your family. You absolutely should bring this up with your doctor as soon as possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Post partum, mood swings on the pill [ 13 Answers ]

I am an emotional wreck. I just had a baby 8 weeks ago and I am back on the pill. I don't know if it is hormones or what, but sometimes I am fine, and then sometimes I feel so hopeless and depressed like my life is falling apart. I hate this. How do you tell the diference between post partum...

View more questions Search