Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timbo83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 05:16 AM
    Installing washer and dryer in closet
    I am planning to install a washer and dryer upstairs in a closet. The closet is in a bathroom and has access to services; however, the drain line in only 1-1/2" dia. I know laundry standpipes should be 2" dia, but could the standpipe be 1-1/2" dia? If not... is there a super slim "sink" that I could use?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 29, 2008, 05:49 AM
    If 1 1/2" is all that you have I don't see that you have much choice. plenty of older homes, mine included, have 1 1/2" washer stations. I would go for the 1 1/2" and if you have a problem with backups we have a solution for that. Just let us know. Good luck. Tom
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Nov 29, 2008, 05:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo83 View Post
    ... however, the drain line in only 1-1/2" dia.
    The washer drain hose is around 1" dia. Itself. So it should just do.
    If you get problems you may have to seal the joint of hose and pipe.
    This may have some effect of the max. water amount that can be drained per minute.
    (in some cases it may even drain faster).

If you run into problems : there are systems on the market to use small drain pipes, even for the toilet!!
    (The Sani-Broyeur or Sani-flow range LINK)

Success !
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 29, 2008, 06:40 AM

Just like Tom correctly said, older homes have 1 1/2" drains. But today's washers have high output and may cause overflow. You could always install service sink next to the w/m and drain it to it. Then, you would eliminate the drainage issue.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2008, 08:11 PM

You can connect the washer drain hose to the
    1 1/2 pipe by just sticking it down into the 1 1/2, then if you have a problem with water backing up at that connection you can always make that a solid connection by using a fitting called an anti syphon valve, some may call it a vacuum breaker, this will stop the waste water from the washer from backing up at this joint. This is just something that I know that it will work from experience.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 30, 2008, 06:18 AM
    Letrmetellu had the right idea, just the wromg terms.
    if you have a problem with water backing up at that connection you can always make that a solid connection by using a fitting called an anti syphon valve, some may call it a vacuum breaker, this will stop the waste water from the washer from backing up at this joint. This is just something that I know that it will work from experience.
    What we use to make this a closed system and prevent backups is not a "anti-syphon valve" or a valve of any type. It is certainly not a "vacume breaker" of any type either.
    We make the washer discharge a closed system by installing a compression fitting, (see image). Another way would be to simply duct tape the washer hose into the washer stand pipe. Anything's accepotable as long as it seals the hose to the pipe. Good luck and thank you for rating my reply. Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 05:36 PM
    Hi all:

Here is the image of the compression fitting Tom was talking about (Tom's image didn't get posted for some reason). In my area we refer to this as a DESANCO fitting.

1.5" pvc is all that is required for a washing machine in Massachusetts... and I have never had an issue as long as the drain pipe or the pipe it was connected to was not clogged. You should be fine as mentioned above.

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing an outlet for a washer dryer unit [ 8 Answers ]

My Grandmother wants me to install a stackable washer dryer unit in her half bathroom which she doesn't use that often on the first floor. There's no current outlet that I know of and I was wondering how I would go about installing an outlet suitable for a washer dryer unit and how I would go about...

Installing Stackable Washer Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

My Grandmother has been asking me to install a stackable washer and dryer in her half bathroom. She wants to convert her sink into washer and dryer hook-ups and then install the stackable washer and dryer. Is it possible to convert the sink over to the hook-ups necessary to install and washer and...

Installing new washer/dryer hookups [ 2 Answers ]

How much should it cost to install washer/dryer hookups in a house?

Installing a washer/dryer [ 1 Answers ]

My name is Charles and I recently became a new home owner. The house was built in 1920, so it has no "utility room". There is however, a small room parallel to the kitchen, which I would like to convert into a utility room with washer and dryer hook-ups. I'm not electrically inclined, nor do I have...

Installing Washer Dryer hook-up [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there- We just put in offer in on a 3 unit building with two other couples. There is a laundry hook-up in the basement in a common area but all of us would rather have an in unit set-up. Our unit is on the top floor of 3 and has a very large kitchen complete with “Austin Powers-esque” wet bar....

View more questions Search