Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kwalker905 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2006, 08:09 PM
    Painting kitchen walls behind cainets
    I had my kitchen walls and ceiling skimmed with a veneer coat of plaster last week. I understand it should dry for several weeks before painting. The cabinet installer is ready to install the new cabinets now. I was thinking it would be best to have the walls painted at least with a primer for sealing purposes. Therefore can I paint the walls that will have the cabinets installed now? Or if it is even necessary to paint these walls at all since none of the wall will be exposed. (these walls will either be cover with cabinets or with back splash). Should I wait the several weeks before painting the ceiling?

Any recommendations?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2006, 03:31 AM
    Are you sure it was plaster? Could it have been joint compound or topping (aka "mud")?

Regardless, definitely no reason to do anything with walls that will be covered by cabinets. You will, though, want a good primer (probably a couple coats) for the walls that you'll be doing a backspash on, though.

As for the ceiling, if it was joint compound or topping, then it's paint ready in a couple days.
    kwalker905 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2006, 05:18 PM
    Rickj, Thanks for the advice. I will probably try to put a coat of primer over the entire wall. To answer your question. The plasterer referred to covering on the walls as "skim coat veneer over blue board". The ceiling was already plastered but needed some TLC. So he applied a "bonding agent" and then applied a thin coat of plster over top just to give a new clean surface.
    Some websites indicate it takes several weeks or even months to assure that plaster is dry before painting. I was hoping that referred to a different plastering process and that my "skim coat" was ready for painting in a few days or a week - like you suggested. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting veneered kitchen cabinets [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to freshen up kitchen cabinets with paint. Cabinets are veneered wood outside surface.

Painting walls black [ 2 Answers ]

I did not prime the wall before painting it black. I have put 3 coats on. The paint is thick and seems to go on uneven. How do I get a more even coat? Can I thin the paint?:cool:

Painting shower walls [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old, retro 70s shower wall (plastic with gold plating) that needs replacing, but I am on a tight budget. Can I seal and paint the existing shower wall until I am able to rip out and replace? Any advice on how to proceed?

Painting kitchen cabinets [ 1 Answers ]

Our kitchen cabinets are dark brown and I believe are made of formica. What is the best way to paint them? Do we need to use a deglosser on them? What is the best primer and paint to use? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Painting Kitchen Cabinets [ 4 Answers ]

:( Two weeks ago, I decided to paint my kitchen cabinets. Unfortunately, I misread the directions I had obtained searching on the internet. I cleaned the cabinets really well with a degreaser, removed them all. My husband added trim. I sanded the new trim but didn’t sand the old varnish that was on...

View more questions Search