Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcbelt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2008, 10:07 AM
    Leak when water diverted to shower head
    We noticed water damage starting on our living room ceiling from the upstairs bathroom recently. We have found that it only happens when the water is diverted to the shower head. I have tried to search for the leak since it should be fairly narrowed down but not really sure what I am doing. Tried looking around the valve but nothing is really jumping out...
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 28, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Hey Jc...

What kind of diverter do you have..? Is the diverter on the tub spout, on the valve itself (single handle valve) or is it a separate handle as part of a three-handle tub/shower valve?

First place to check is behind the shower valve if you can remove the trim plate(s). Remove the trim that you can and then divert from tub to shower and see what you can see behind the wall. Also, check behind the shower arm trim piece.

Finally, if diverter is on a tub sput it could be leaking from the tub spout and into the wall... remove tub spout to check this. This would be done by spinning tub spout counterclockwise OR using an allen wrench of proper size to remove the allen screw holding the spout on. Of course, depends on which type tub spout you have).

Check the obvious stuff as you have already... then get back with answers to my questions. Also, be sure to let me know if you have a TILE surround or a fiberglass/acrylic type... ok?

Thanks..

MARK
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2008, 12:23 PM

Hi jcbelt,

Follow Mark's instructions and respond to his questions I am sure you will find your problem and will be resolved accordingly, on top marks recommendations I am attaching the following images just for an info, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 29, 2008, 07:38 AM
    There's really only one way to check. Open up the access panel behind the tubs drain and check around the drainand trap for moisture. No access panel? Then either cut one in or open up the ceiling to check. If you have a faulty drain seal the moisture will be on the trap and raiser. If not then it's leaking from the shower walls as the stream hits it. Let me know what you find. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak from shower head [ 4 Answers ]

Hope I describe this correctly. Constant drip is coming from head of the shower. I was advised to unscrew the shower head and check the washer. I looked at the washer and it did need replacing. Went to the store and got the correct washer and screwed head back on but the shower still leaks. ...

Shower head leak [ 4 Answers ]

My shower faucet handles are completely turned off but hot water continues to drip (alot) from the shower head. I took off the shower head and water runs directly from the spout. It seems I can't close the handle any tighter so what do I do?

What do I do for water not diverted properly to shower head? [ 1 Answers ]

Half of my water flow is coming out the tub spout. I have a Moen 3-handle tub/shower valve (model 82403). I've taken out the diverter assembly but see no evidence of problem. How can I fix this water wasted problem?

Shower Head Leak [ 4 Answers ]

I have a delta one handle bathtub faucet. It has the pull down at the spout to turn on the shower. When the water is turned off I still get intermittent drips from the shower head. How do I correct this?

Water coming out of spout in tub after diverted to shower [ 2 Answers ]

I am sorry if this question has been asked. I am having problems with my tub/shower. I am not sure the brand on my bathtub faucet but it has one knob that controls hot and cold, on/off. The spout has a ring that you pull down on to divert the water to the shower head. If the water is on cold,...

View more questions Search