Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crue_boo Posts: 74, Reputation: 2

Nov 27, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Iron intake.Is it safe for the baby?
    Hi :).. I have iron deficiency and I need to take pills for it everyday. I was wondering if taking iron pills is at all dangerous to the health of my baby?!

Also, I was wondering about baby vitamins... I need all the info I can get! Thanks :) :) :)
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2008, 08:37 AM

If you are not getting enough iron from your prenatals... ask you doctor how much more iron you shoud take in an iron supplement.

If you take the whole pill, it might be too much.
    crue_boo Posts: 74, Reputation: 2

Nov 27, 2008, 08:42 AM

Thanks! I love the fast answers :D... people on this site probably save a lot of lives :O
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2008, 08:44 AM

You're welcome... you should get some more answers!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2008, 03:51 PM

For most women, prenatals will be sufficient, but your doctor can do a check on your levels to see if additional supplementation would be beneficial... (wise to have the levels checked so as not to overdo the iron if you don't need it) You may find you can boost it enough just from a healthful diet.
    Some women find iron supplements can be cause constipation so having a varied diet and good fluid intake can help. You might also find liquid iron supplements work better as they tend to be less constipating for some.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 28, 2008, 04:03 PM
    I frequently prescribe Ferrous Sulfate (Iron) for my clients that do have low blood counts or low iron counts. It will not hurt the baby, but actually may help if you already have a problem. Also, you may want to check into the liquid form as it can cause permanent staining to your teeth.

You need to continue your prenatal vitamins and speak to your OB about whether you need to continue the Iron.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mass of iron in iron tablets redox titrations [ 1 Answers ]

what is the equation for the rection between potassium permanganate and iron oxide in the redox titration to decipher percentage by mass of iron in iron tablets and how do I get the answer from my titration ressults? Cheers

T safe Coil and thrush? T safe problems? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused:I had c t safe coil fitted back in may. I have had thrush since, anyone evr had thise from the tsafe?? Please let me know of any other problems you have had with this device?? :confused:

Iron baby crib [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know where to purchase the iron baby crib pictured in the website: www.linens4you.net/servlet/the-2000/dream-with-me-crib/detail -it is iron with star finials. Thanks, julie92563

When to know it is safe for baby to be back in a freshly painted room. [ 6 Answers ]

The walls were painted in the bedroom. I am not sure if it is safe yet to put our baby back in the room. I am not exactly sure what paint was used and cocking around the windows. The workers told me it is water based. It smelled strong at first but I have been airing it out since...

View more questions Search