Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    parsifal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Check engine light after lube job
    When I picked up my 1994 Ford Explorer after an oil change the check engine light was on and the engine runs rough. I noticed excess oil dripping from the frame under the air filter housing near the cold air intake duct.
    Is it possible that spilled oil got into the air intake ducts and is causing the engine to run rough?
    Has anyone had this happen to them?

Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2008, 12:47 PM

Ensure oil is not leaking from the oil filter and that the oil level is okay. If oil was spilled over the air intake, the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor may have become contaminated. If so, the sensor will need to be cleaned and the PCM reset:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1377134
    parsifal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 11:24 AM

Tex... Thanks for the advice on the MAF. Indeed, there was oil spilled into the air filter and it got sucked all along the air duct into the throttle body. Fortunately the oil didn't get inside the throttle body. It took me several hours to clean all the oil out. I cleaned off the MAF as you advised and the engine is running fine now.
    Sticky Sam Posts: 76, Reputation: -2

Dec 2, 2008, 07:04 PM

If it took you hours to clean up the oil spill, I would charge the garage you had the oil change at. I would tell everyone who it was , we can all avoid it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Check Engine Light and Oil Light Comes On On My Honda Accord 1995 [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 1995 Honda Accord and both my check engine light and oil light are coming on. The car started over heating so I checked the radiator coolant and that was fine. I also checked the oil and that was full. A few days later the oil light started coming on and now the check engine light is on. ...

Check engine light [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have a 91 honda civic si that I have replaced the o2 sensor on and the check engine light still won't go off. Can any one help?

Where do you find the plug in to check the check engine light [ 16 Answers ]

I am trying to find the plug in where you plug in the computer to check the check engine light it a 1992 civic can anyone tell me where it located at and if you have picture that would be great thanks if you could tell me the color of the plug in and how many pin in it that would help me in finding...

Check Engine Light [ 1 Answers ]

I got my rebuilt head on my 93 Civic HB, and she runs sooo smooth, an absolutley no leaks. Just havin' an issue w/my check engine light now being on. Installed a jumper cable to test the computer, an my light flashes on, then off, pause for 4 seconds, then on again, off, pause for 4. Can't...

View more questions Search