Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lennysherman_55 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2006, 08:37 AM
    ATIdrab.dll 'Blue-Screen'
    From time to time I get this 'Blue-Screen' error which points to this DLL associated with my laptop's (DELL Latitude CPx w/Pentium 3 processor and 320 MB RAM) video system. I've tried BOTH ATI's and DELL's websites, to no avail. ATI refers me to DELL and DELL insists that I find some cryptic number on the bottom that just isn't there. (this IS a machine I bought used!) Do I have a hardware problem or is this just 'one of those things' that laptop owners have to suffer through? I'm using this machine as a desktop, with external monitor, keyboard, (second)hard disk, CD-R and mouse. Everything (execpt the monitor and keyboard) is hooked-up through a SINGLE USB port, where I have an external (USB2) hub. With all this crap, you wonder why it works at all! Since I presently can't afford to fix-up the desktop system I have, I'm forced to make do with this messed-up system. The machine also locks up with NO error message, at random times. In both cases, only a hard re-boot will restore this junk to a working condition. I don't know if these two faults are from the same cause. Can anyone out there help?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 08:42 AM
    It looks like your video drivers have gotten corrupted. Do you know which video chipset is installed in the laptop? You could check in Device Manager. If you can get a detailed description of the video chipset you could then download a fresh set of srivers, uninstall the old ones and install the fresh set.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 28, 2006, 08:53 AM
    I agree with Need that you should reload your video drivers.

But I wanted to address the "cryptic" number issue. ALL Dell machines have a serial number and a service tag number on a label pasted on the unit. Its usually on the underside of a laptop and either the back or side of a desktop case. These codes allow you to log into Dell's website and get details and support on your PC.

If the tags are no longer there, the previous owner must have removed them for some reason. But basically it means you can't get support from Dell. So I suggest that there is no point in calling them.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 28, 2006, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lennysherman_55
    Thanks for your input, Scott. I'm curious, though: is DELL's inability to help associated with the fact that the laptop's OUT OF WARRANTY? After all, I'm NOT asking for detailed tech support here- just some general questions about the video system. By the way, I HAD installed new video drivers from ATI- after they passed me on to DELL. The drivers weren't listed on the correct page. I went back and manually searched for 'em, found 'em and successfully installed 'em. The 'blue-screens' and lock-ups continue.
    Dell's tech support has gone downhill a great deal in the past few years. As I understand it Dell won't talk to you unless you have a valid Service Tag, even to answer general questions.

One of the reasons ATI may be foisting you on Dell is that Dell may be using video chips that ATI is selling only to them at a discount that means they have to support them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows xp pro- blue screen of death [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, had to join after I asked a friend on this issue. ( And I thought XP was immune from this.) It say's: On Blue Screen; Stop: C0000218 {Registry File Failure} The Registry cannot Load the Hive File:\SystemRoot\System32\Config\Software Or it's log or alternative. It is...

Please help... Blue screen of death! [ 7 Answers ]

Yes, I have had the blue screen of death for a few months now. I have tried numerous stupid things but they don't seem to work It hadn't happened for a few weeks until today, it happened again. I have the error reports for it if that helps. Is there anyting I can do?

Having a problem moving my address bar from bottom of screen to top of screen [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I can't seem to bring up an address bar at the top of the screen because when I right click at the top of the page, the options are not lit up. I could only bring up an address bar at the bottom. Since it gets in the way at the bottom, I would like to know if anyone can help me...

Blue screen of death [ 4 Answers ]

got a friend with this problem any ideas to resolve it ERROR 0x00000024 NTFS.SYS and it says... check the disk with CHDSK /F to repair the problem... but I can't because I can't access to anything to do a CHKDSK... :)

View more questions Search