Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hoggguy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Is there a defense against a credit card company request for judgement?
    When my ex wife and I divorced, she assumed the obligation for repayment of a credit card debt. Unfortunately, the account was in my name and she was an authorized user. Not only did she not pay the debt, she ran up the account balance to the maximum without my knowledge or consent. I did not know until I was contacted re: past due payments. Statements, phone calls, etc. had all gone to her. No, stupid me, I did not close the account at the time of our separation.

Now, the card company is suing me for judgement. Of course, this is after much collection activity, during which I paid them token payments from time to time, always complaining that I did not charge the items. etc. I am retired and have limited income (social security and a small retirement account from my previous employer).

Do I have any chance at all?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 10:26 AM

Silly you, hoggguy, for trusting her. Was she obligated through the court divorce process to pay off her credit card debt ? You may have recourse on her if this was promised in front of a judge.
    hoggguy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Was not in front of a judge that I recall, but was a part of our divorce property settlement that is a part of our divorce papers.

Yes, just never thought she would do this.. .
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 10:35 AM

Don't get too excited, cause I am not a lawyer, you were the major card holder and therefore responsible but to my way of thinking, if this was ACTUALLY written in to your divorce papers you may have a case so they can chase her for the debt. Check with your lawyer and see if this is the case. And if so, you can tell these people to... and refer them to her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a good defense for a credit card lawsuit? [ 9 Answers ]

I was just served by a major Credit Card in which they are seeking a judgement. I have been disabled and have had a problem keeping stable employment due to my health conditions. My family is on food stamps and medicaid. Is that a good enough argument with proof? If they proceed with a...

Civil judgement by credit card company [ 1 Answers ]

What exactly is a civil judgement and what can happen with it?

Judgement from credit card company [ 1 Answers ]

I had a judgement put against me in 8/2000. I do not remember if I even received a summons, my husband and I also were going through foreclosure and many other problems. I live in Florida. This judgement has been sold over to a fourth party from a law firm. They have upped the judgement amount...

Judgement filed by credit card company [ 6 Answers ]

I was served with a summons on Oct 20 regarding a large credit card debt. I was given 30 days to respond to a PO box about this summons. I typed a letter & sent in it November. I received a letter from the collection agency yesterday stating I never responded to this summons. All I have is a...

Credit card judgement [ 20 Answers ]

I have a few judgements against me from past due credit cards and I am trying to sell my house In NY and make a fresh start. I have every intention of paying these judgements after I get settled in my new area. I am concered that the judgements may bite me in the... when it comes time to close on...

View more questions Search