Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dayslug24 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

Nov 24, 2008, 06:22 AM
    Flexi vs. black iron gas line to water heater gas valve
    I have seen gas water heater " install kits" that use the yellow flex appliance line for the gas connection to the gas valve on the water heater. My tank was installed when the house was built and has black iron pipe all the way to the union and into the valve on the tank.
    I have heard some codes do not allow the flexi line, and some require it, So my first question is what are your opinions with either option.
    Im worried that when I change the tank, the current gas line will not match the exact height of the new water tank, and without being able to custom thread pipe to the right length, Using flexible line may be the best to go.
    Thanks for any opinions you guys may have.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 24, 2008, 06:29 AM
    We don't have too many gas appliances in my area But flexible connections have always been used to connect the appliance to the supply. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 08:23 AM

That yellow flex is the way to go. It solves your worry and also allows for any slight movement in the heater to no affect the integrity of the gas connection. The yellow coating is also your assurance that this is the newer approved flex pipe that will not become brittle and crack like the original flex lines. Anyone who has a flex line that is not yellow coarted should remove it immediately and replace with currect code yellw pipe.
    dayslug24 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

Nov 24, 2008, 11:29 AM
    Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Shut Off Valve between water heater and bathroom sink valve [ 14 Answers ]

I have a constant drip in my bathroom sink. After a little trouble shooting, I came to the conclusion that my hot water valve underneath the sink is the culprit. I traced the pipe down the wall, into the basement and to the water heater. The only thing between the water heater and the old valve in...

Water heater- gas line to pressure valve? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm inspecting a house and found a water heater installation I've never seen before. The pressure relief valve is on top of the water heater, and it has an IN and OUT. The gas line is connected to the IN, and the OUT goes to the water heater manifold.:eek: Can this be right? Normally I see a...

Hot water shut off valve and main water line [ 8 Answers ]

I was in my way to replace faucet for basin, but my local hot water shut off valve is not working. So now I have to shut off water supply from main line. Where would that be? I have old house and my water meter is out side. Also how to change shut off valve?

Cutting black iron gas line [ 8 Answers ]

I want to add a branch line to an existing gas line for a new kitchen stove. The problem is there is no way to disassemble the existing gas line. No unions. The line is located in the attic space above the garage. Can I safely cut the existing gas line to remove a section of pipe? It will be...

View more questions Search