Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diefishyap Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2006, 01:13 AM
    Probability Question(about world cup tournament ladder)
    Assume that all the position in the tournament ladder is randomly selected, and 16 teams in the tournament ladder are evenly matched, and they include Brazil and England. What is the probability that both team will meet in a match during the tournament?

Given that the probability to win the match is 0.5
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Aug 3, 2006, 09:39 AM
    The probability cannot be calculated without being biased. The results are biased because of the way a team preforms. England and Brazil probably have a better chance of meeting because they are better teams and will progress. The USA (no offence) and Japan (no offence) would have a less likly outcome of facing each other because they are less likly to progress. What you also have to take into account is that each starting group there is a dominant team and 3 weaker teams (so there is a big game in the end and so a lesser team doesn't end up in second place.) That said, someone in the group with Brazil has a slim chance of facing England.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2006, 07:46 PM
    worthbeads, obviously you did not read the question close enough.

The question tells you to assume that ALL the teams are evenly matched.

So that England has the same chance and calibre of players as Japan.

Aug 4, 2006, 12:57 PM
    You should fix his problem, not mine
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2006, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by worthbeads
    you should fix his problem, not mine
    If you are going to give incorrect information, then I am going to fix YOUR problem.

As for the OP's question, it's been a while since I have done probability calculations

Aug 7, 2006, 04:33 PM
    Assuming the teams are already picked, the probability can be between 100% (play each other right away) through 1 out of 256 (playing each other at the final). That would be 0.4%. I believe my calculations are right, but if anyone else has another answer, please tell me.
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2006, 10:09 PM
    Worthbeads, you again are incorrect.

The question states the following:

The tournament ladder is RANDOMLY selected…
    16 teams, 4 rounds
    Each time has a 50% chance to win their match

England's chance of playing Brazil in Round 1 is: 1 in 15

England's chance of playing Brazil in Round 2 is:
    England's chance of playing Brazil in Round 3 is:
    England's chance of playing Brazil in Round 4 is:

I do not remember off hand how to calculate this, but I can assure you 1 in 256 is NOT correct.

Aug 8, 2006, 08:47 AM
    That's what I was saying. I just did it more vaguely. The probabilities are are and between 100% and 1/256. It is not every percentage between, but between is the probabilities of the others. I got 100% if the two teams play their first game together, assuming the teams are already placed.
    Quote Originally Posted by worthbeads
    Assuming the teams are already picked, the probability can be between 100% (play each other right away) through 1 out of 256 (playing each other at the final)
    The probability of 1/256 was found this way:

The probability of the first team, team#1, to win their first game is 1/2
    The probability of them winning their second game is also 1/2
    Therefor, the probability of them winning both games is 1/4 (1/2*1/2)
    Then the third, 1/2 (1/4*1/2=1/8)
    And semifinal, 1/2 (1/8*1/2=1/16)

so there is a 1/16 chance team#1 makes it to the final (if it is necessary to play the other selected team)

That means the other selected team also has a 1/16 chance of going to the finals. You multiply 1/16*1/16 to get the probability of them both going to the finals! 1/16*1/16=1/256

Aug 8, 2006, 08:56 AM
    By the way

Team#1 meeting right away (assuming teams have already been picked):1/1 (100%)
    Team#1 meeting team#2 in second round:1/4 (25%)
    Team#1 meeting team#2 in third round: 1/16 6.25%
    Team#1 meeting team#2 in finals: 1/256 (0.39%)
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Aug 8, 2006, 05:36 PM
    For England and Brazil to meet in the finals, three things must happen:

1. England must win three games
    2. Brazil must win three games
    3. England and Brazil must start on different sides of the tournament tree (otherwise, they'd meet before the finals)

Multiply these three probabilities together to get the final answer. The first two are easy. Let's consider the third:

a) how many different ways are there to rearrange the teams?
    b) how many of those ways result in England in the first 8, Brazil in the second?
    c) how many result in Brazil in the first 8, England in the second?

a) Simple combinatorics, there are 16! Ways to arrange the teams (16 factorial)

b) break this one down:
    I) how many ways to get England in the first eight teams?
    ii) how many ways to get Brazil in the second eight teams?

ii) is easy - you have 8 teams to arrange (one is Brazil), so 8!
    I) tougher - England in position 1-8, plus seven other teams(of 14) in any of the other seven spots:
    8 x 14 x 13 x 12 x 11 x 10 x 9 x 8

So the final # of ways to get England in the first 8 and Brazil in the second 8 would be 8 x 8 x 14!

c) exactly the same as b): 8 x 8 x 14!

So, you should be able to figure out the answer for 3, then get the answer to your initial question.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Aug 8, 2006, 05:39 PM
    Oops! I didn't read the question well enough, apparently!

Anyway, my method can be used to find the probability of England and Brazil meeting in the final. You should also be able to adapt it to find the probability of them meeting in round 3, round 2, and round 1. Add all four probabilities together (because they are exclusive outcomes so they don't interfere), and you'll get your answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please help me with this... Find the density of Y = the volume of a sphere whose diameter is uniformly distributed on the interval (0.98,1.02) Thanks =)

Question relating to probability [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I got a question relating to Probability. I will be thankful to you if I could get a suitable answer along with illustration for this. regards, Murthy Question is : There is Tournment with 50 teams. A Team that lost for 3 matches has to quit the tournment. What would be the...

Probability question [ 1 Answers ]

okay this sint really homework but I had no where else to put my randommath question I hd... how would I check the probability at this... so normal dice have 6 sides ranging from 1-6 lets say you have three noram dice versus 3 specail dice1st dice has three sides with a 1 and three sides...

Probability [ 1 Answers ]

A contest consists of finding all of the code words that can be formed from the letters in the name "ATARI". Assume that the letter A can be used twice, but the others at most once. a. How many five-letter words can be formed? b. How many two-letter words can be formed? c. How many words...

Probability Question [ 3 Answers ]

I'm taking a statistics course and think I'm way over my head... unfortunately, it's a pre-req and I'm stuck. Can anyone help me understand the basics? Here is a sample question and I simply don't know where to begin: Coach John has two teams who won 347 games and tied 6 of the 526 total...

View more questions Search