Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PET41 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 02:27 PM
    Deck with 2"X6" treated lumber,
    I am using 3" treated phillips scews from Lowe's. With regards to holes , I understand that wood filler will eventually pop out. What if I use paintable GE Silicone Caulk, which stays flexible?
    TIA
    Pet41
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2008, 03:41 PM

Why are the screw holes such a problem for you?

Silicone will fill the voids and in time could either come out on their own,cause discoloration you might not desire,retain water in the spots you fill,just where the silicone contacts the wood.It is not stainable,won't take waterproofing.

OK,back to you,

KBC
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 22, 2008, 03:46 PM

We covered this a fgew days ago. Did you look into the system I described that has no screws showing anywhere, that would be your best bet. Your silicone dots will stand out far more than the screw holes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deck with 2"X6" treated lumber, [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process of refacing my deck with the same type of 2"X6" treated lumber that was original. I am using 3" Phillips deck screws from Lowe's. The lumber has knots and I am thinking of using Minwax or Ace wood filler to cover screw holes inperfections and knot holes prior to staining and...

Can I "Sister" new wood onto my deck joists? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a deck that is cantelivered off the side of my house the Deck is 4'8" X 21'6". I ere should I place the bolts?noticed that approximately 5 of the 22 joists are rotted at the end and the rot is from about 2 - 8 '' in length. Would it be all right to "sister" on new 2 by 8's . How many bolts...

Treated lumber [ 3 Answers ]

How soon can I paint treated lumber? And could I used screws or nails on treated lumber?

View more questions Search