Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chunte30309 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2006, 03:47 PM
    Central AC not working properly
    My central ac works for a 1 or 2 hours then fan on the exterior unit stops turning (motor still running) and shortly after hot air comes out of the vents. I will then shut it off, by turning off the thermostat for about 2 hours and it will work again for about 1 to 2 hours. Unfortunately for me, the technicians (from my Insurance Co) always show up during 1 to 2 hour when it is working? Hence, they give it a clean bill of healthHelp me please!
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2006, 08:23 PM
    You say that the fan on the exterior unit stops turning (motor still running)
    Does this mean that the shaft from the motor is turning but the fan is not. If that be the case it should be very noisy and be obvious as to where the problem is. If that is not what you mean would you please explain.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2006, 06:09 AM
    Sounds like you need to replace the condenser fan run capacitor. Have an HVAC technician use his Fluke Multimeter and check the capacitance of your run and start capacitors. All wires need to be removed from capacitors before testing. If your condenser unit is at least 6 years old, I'd proactively get him to replace the contactor (relay) while he's there. Also, have him oil each port on the condenser fan with 15 drops of ISO 32 wt. turbine oil and take a garden hose and gently clean all dirt and debris from the condenser coils. Ensuring your capacitors and contactors are in good shape is at the heart of trouble-free air conditioning.

Jun 29, 2006, 07:19 PM
    Guys... thanks for your help.

letmetellu: Yes, I do hear a noice when the fan (blade) not turning. Also,

Additional question...
    Even when the ac is working, I have to place my hand at least 2 feet front the vent to feel the air. Do you think my condenser fan (in attic) may be acting up?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2006, 08:59 PM
    Don't you mean furnace fan in the attic?

I think you meant in your original description that the outside condenser fan would stop running, but the compressor would keep running. However, when this happened, cool air stopped coming out of the vents in the house. Is this correct? If this is correct, get the condenser fan run capacitor replaced.

Jul 8, 2006, 04:50 AM
    Txgreasemonkey, etal,

Thanks for your assistance and guidance. The tech showed up and with your tips, I was able to ask the right questions. He replaced my condenser fan motor. That was the "culprit" - my AC is now working. It only took them 3 visits ( 2 of which they claimed that the AC was working) but the got it done! Thanks A Mil!

Cleve

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet not flushing properly [ 11 Answers ]

One of my upstairs toilets is now flushing differently. When I flush, the water in the bowl rises until it nearly overflows, then it begins draining. However, it does not stop draining until the bowl is almost empty, well below the normal water level. The water level rising in the bowl indicates...

Toilet not flushing properly [ 20 Answers ]

My toilet just started filling up and very slowly draning until most of the water's gone, but it's not flushing the waste down with it. I've tried 3 times now. The tank empties and refills, the bowl fills up almost to the point of overflow and then VERY slowly drains. No flushing is happening....

Radiators not working properly [ 7 Answers ]

I hope someone can please help. We have had problems with our heating system (2 years old) for the past 2 months and have had the people who installed it working to repair it. First the boiler stopped working properly. After a new pump, heat exchanger and circuit board were fitted, the boiler...

Central Air not working... Anything else I can try before calling someone in? [ 2 Answers ]

We've only run the AC twice this year, went to turn it on Saturday with the latest heat wave and it didn't cool. I've cleaned the coils/fins on the outside unit, but have done nothing inside as of yet. However, the compressor is not coming on. We have dogs, and have to pay close attention to our...

Address bar not working properly [ 2 Answers ]

I am running windows XP and I have the address bar sitting underneath my start bar. It has been working perfectly until just recently. Now when I type in "cmd" it tries to open up the webpage "http://cmd/" rather than just opening up the command prompt window. I don't know why it has started...

View more questions Search