Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rick59 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2006, 01:56 PM
    Leaking drops
    I have a bathroom on the second floor. Every time I flush the toilet, the ceiling below is stained by water. The flow is only drops at a time. Can anyone help with what it might be? There is no water around the toilet at all.
    Can it be the wax ring? I'm not sure, I thought if that were the problem, the water leak would be continuous. Please Help

Thanks

Rick
    rmoore0007 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jun 25, 2006, 05:18 PM
    Hello. Have you checked for water by feeling around the tank where the two bolts hold the tank on. Also check for leaks on the water line connected to the tank. If all is dry then it could be the wax ring. Just hope you do not have a water line leak in the wall. Thanks Rodger

Jun 25, 2006, 06:14 PM
    Rodger,
    Thanks for the input. If it were a line, wouldn't it leak continuous?
    That's why I'm stumped. It only leaks when the toilet is flushed
    rmoore0007 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jun 25, 2006, 06:46 PM
    Wax rings are inexpensive. I would turn off water at the tank and flush as much water out of the tank as possible. Disconnect the water line to the tank, small bowl underneath to catch some of the remaining water. Take ceramic caps off bolts on either side of the tank. Usually 7/16 nuts on on bolts, a deep well socket helps go faster. Be sure to remove tank cover and protect from breaking. If caulking is around bottom of toilet you will probably need to cut the caulking around the toilet. After nuts are off you can stradle and lift the toilet off the nuts. A towel or rags will be helpful. It is easiest to turn toilet upside down. Clean off the old wax ring and install a new one on the toilet. Line up the toilet with the bolts and sit it in place
    Tighten nuts ,careful not to crack ceramic, and recaulk around toilet. Reinstall ceramic caps. Reattach water line to the toilet and turn on water and check for leaks. Reinstall toilet lid and you are done.
    Some people use large straws over the bolts to line up on. Two people also make it easier.

Jun 25, 2006, 07:28 PM
    Thank you very much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat is leaking! [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 8 yr old female cat. She is overweight and does have difficulty cleaning herself. For MANY months now she has been leaving little tiny brown spots when she sits down. I have to clean her at least once a week or her hair gets really matted by her vagina. It is really gross. I am not...

Voltage drops [ 10 Answers ]

We have an ongoing problems with our house lights experiencing "drops" or "dimming". Our electricity provider has tested all external connections and installed a monitor, with no problems found. We had multiple electricians inspect the circuit box and all connections, with no problems found. ...

Well Water at 20 psi - then drops! [ 3 Answers ]

Do I need a new well? I have had low water pressure for about a week. I checked the pressure tank and pumped it up to 60 psi. Is that too high - too low? Did not fix the problem. We have a well. Water table is fine - east coast. I checked the pressure gauge of the pump and it is 20 -...

Leaking [ 4 Answers ]

We had been hearing running water near our kitchen sink, and the water meter dial had been turning constantly. The water bill jumped from fifty to eighty dollars.We called in a plumber who said we have a leak. He put nitrogen and helium into the pipes,so he would be able to hear exactly were the...

View more questions Search