Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nano99r Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2008, 01:21 PM
    creating music website for term project
    Problem Statement

You are to implement a relatively simple application for an electronic commerce system. Specifically, you are required to develop an application for selling digitized songs via the Internet. This application consists of a web browser, a web server, an SMTP server, a set of Active Server Pages (ASPs), and a relational database management system (MS Access). In an electronic commerce system, all aspects of a transaction are done electronically. Thus, the seller will have a web presence (electronic store) on the Internet; and the customers all over the world would visit the electronic store via a browser. When a customer visits the store, usually a portion of the available products, songs in this case, is displayed on the screen. A customer can also search for a specific song by entering a keyword in the search field. If a customer wants to buy a song, he or she clicks on an Add-to-Cart button, and that song will appear in the shopping cart. The quantity, unit price, and extended price for that song will also be displayed. The customer may continue shopping and put more than one song in a shopping cart. As the customer adds a song into the shopping cart, the total purchase price for all songs in the cart will be automatically calculated. When the customer is finished shopping and ready to pay, he or she clicks on a check out button. The customer then enters relevant information, including email address, name, street address, and credit card information. Once this information is submitted, the customer can download all of the digitized songs that have been purchased – a transaction via the Internet has been completed! To see how similar systems work, please visit the following website http://131.193.211.140/pastprojects

Your application should be able to do the following tasks:

1. Display a list of available digitized songs (minimum 5) for sale online. For each song, show the name, type, artist, a link to listen to a sample song, and the price per song. When the customer clicks the link to listen to a sample song, he or she should be able to listen to the sample song. An Add-to-Cart button should also be displayed for each song. This button is a mechanism for the customer to purchase the song.

NOTE: please do not list copyrighted songs. You can only list those songs (audio clips) that are free to download. If you are a musician, you can list your own digitized songs.

2. A customer should be able to search for songs by entering a search keyword. The application should display each song that matches this keyword in the song's name, song's type, or song's artist.

3. When a customer clicks on an Add-To-Cart button, the corresponding song is placed in an electronic shopping cart. The customer should be able to continue shopping online or change the quantity purchase for a particular song in the shopping cart and recalculate the total amount of purchase. When the customer is ready to check out, he or she clicks on the Proceed-To-Check-Out button.

4. When the customer clicks on the Proceed-To-Check-Out button, the application should ask the
    customer whether he or she is a new or returning customer:

a. If the customer is a new customer, the application should ask for customer and credit card information: Email Address, Password, Name, Address, City, State, Zip code, Phone Number, Credit card type (Visa, Amex, MasterCard), Credit Card Account Number, and Expiration Date (mm/yyyy). The application also displays a list of songs in the shopping cart, together with the total amount of purchase, as well as a Submit-Order button.

b. If the customer is a returning customer, the application should ask for that customer's email address and password. Based on the customer's email address and password, the application then retrieves that customer information from the database and then displays the following information on the screen: Name, Address, City, State, Zip code, and Phone Number. Moreover, display the following two links (or buttons): (a) Update Customer Information and (b) Add Credit Card. If the user clicks on Update Customer Information link (button), the user should be able to update his or her information in the database and then return to the current screen. Similarly, if the user clicks on the Add Credit Card link (button), the user should be able to add more credit cards into the database, set which card is the default card to use in the transaction, and then return to the current screen. The application also displays a list of songs in the shopping cart, together with the total amount of purchase, as well as a Submit-Order button.

5. When the customer clicks on the Submit-Order button, the application should do either part (a)
    or part (b) below, depending on whether the customer is a new or returning customer:

a. If the customer is a new customer, the application stores customer, order, and credit card information in the database. Since at this point the new customer has entered only one credit card, your application should set the value of isDefault field in CreditCard table to “Yes”, indicating that this credit card is the primary card to use in the transactions. If this new customer enters an email address that already exists in the database, reject the submission and ask the customer to either revise the email address or login as a returning customer. The E-R diagram on the next page shows which entities (tables) should store what data. You need to transform this E-R diagram into a relational schema and then create a physical schema, say project.mdb, using Microsoft Access. Note that both CustID in Customer table and OrderID in Order table should be of data type Autonumber. For each of the rest of the attributes, you should choose an appropriate data type.

b. If the customer is a returning customer, the application simply stores order information in the database. Please see point (a) above for which table should contain what data.

When the application has finished recording an order (transaction) in the database, the application should display a download page where the customer can download all of the digitized songs that have been purchased.

6. When the application has finished recording an order (transaction), it should send a confirmation message via email to the customer. This confirmation message should list, for each song being ordered, the following information: Quantity Ordered, Song ID, Song Name, Unit Price, Subtotal (Extended Price), as well as the total amount of the purchase. For example, if the customer purchased two songs, the confirmation, which would be sent via email to the customer, may look like this:

This is an automated receipt to confirm your purchase:
    Order ID:211 Order Date:10/17/2008
    Quantity Song ID Song Name Price Sub Total
    1 MP3-0003 Harry Potter Song $0.99 $0.99
    1 MP3-0007 Only Time $1.25 $1.25
    Total Amount: $2.24.
    Thank you for shopping at our e-store.
    -GroupNN IDS 410 Online Music Store

ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 19, 2008, 01:25 PM

Ok so you were able to post a copy of your assignment. So what do you want from us? Keep in mind thise guidelines for asking for help with school assignments:

Please review the guidelines on asking for help with homework that can be found here:

Ask Me Help Desk - Announcements in Forum : Arts & Literature

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Creating a website. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am fairly new to the internet other than just surfing it and was interested in starting a website. I was wondering if there was anybody out there that could help me in the right direction in creating, hosting and maintaining the site, any info would be much appreciated. Thank you

Creating forum for website [ 4 Answers ]

, Is there anyone who knows the fundamentals of creating a forum on a webspace... I need the codes and how to go about it very urgently... jst got a web job and was given to create a web forum joint for the website.thanks. -taytopy2k.

Creating a personal website [ 4 Answers ]

I want to have my personal website but I don't have any development skills.. can anyone inform me of a website that can help me building me site quickly and with the least financial cost?

Creating customized pdf's for clients from a website? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a website that customizes a contract for clients to fill out and fax into me. I was just having them print the webpage but I have found that where page 1 ends differs from user to user (and I have an initial section at the bottom of each page). I am trying to find a way to either be able...

Creating Music CD [ 10 Answers ]

Okay, I hope someone can help me. As some of you know, I am technologically challenged. I have created music CDs before, but for the life of me don't remember how I did it. I guess all the medical studying fried my techno brain. Anyhow, here's what is going on. I have music (obtained...

View more questions Search