Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macterb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2008, 10:52 AM
    Timers that play nicely with CFL soffit lights
    I have seven new CFL exterior soffit lights on one of three wall switches in a triple-gang box. It seems counter-intuitive to come home to a dark house when those lovely lights are there. As noted in other discussions, Intermatic makes a timer switch, but the instructions warn that the switch should not be used with CFL bulbs. Does anyone know of a timer I can reliabily use in place of the current toggle switch without risking premature failure of the bulbs?
    Thank you for sharing your collective wisdom.
    Macterb
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Nov 19, 2008, 06:33 PM

Any timer that has contact closures to switch the load should be fine. Most likely the timer that you mentioned uses solid state devices (triac, scr, whatever) to switch the load. The other remote possibility is that the timing circuit has problems with RFI and they are covering their butts so they get fewer warranty returns. I doubt that though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Noma Timers [ 11 Answers ]

How do I set my Noma timer I've lost the instructions It has the C and P digital Letters

Noma out door timers with P C and E digital timers that do they mean for setting [ 4 Answers ]

Noma outdoor timers with P C and E digital timer programming what do they mean for setting

CFL timers [ 1 Answers ]

Hello My new home has 6 soffit lights with CFL bulbs and one with a halogen bulb on the same switch. Will an electronic timer still not work if I have supplied a "resistive" load to the system by way of the halogen bulb? My electrician says this will not work without a huge mechanical time r...

How can I get my hair to shine nicely? It always comes out dry within a week [ 1 Answers ]

Ok soooo my hair refuses to shine. And when I blowdry it no matter when it always seems to look different then all of my friend's hair. It's so irritating. I've tried everything. I use shine serum , but it makes it greasy, I even tried towel drying. And its like , when my hair is wet with shampoo...

View more questions Search