Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abl0918 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 03:56 PM
    Giving my brother false hope?
    My brother and his (now ex) girlfriend had a baby less than a year ago. This baby was taken by DCF and they have both, separately, been working towards reunification with their child. I read that Vermont law states that a parents right can be terminated if they have been charged with a felony. My brother is still wanted in a different state for a felony charge. Since the charge is not in the state of Vermont, is this still ground for terminating his rights? And if it is, and the court has been fully aware of this charge from the beginning, are they just giving him false hope that he could ever get custody of his child?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2008, 04:38 PM

Was he the caregiver of the child when the child was taken? Who is trying to have his rights taken away? It really dosen't matter what state the fellony took place in if he was charged as a fellon its on his perminant record.

Nov 18, 2008, 04:51 PM
    My brother and the baby's mother were both the caregiver at the time the baby was taken away. The baby was taken by the department of family services, and it is up to a judge to decide if either of the two are fit to be parents. Everyone is aware of his charge in a different state, so do you think they are giving him false hope in making him think that if he finds a place to live, gets a job... etc, that they would actually give him custody of his child?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2008, 05:28 PM

Well, not really, I know that sounds wishy washy. If he manages to get everything accomplished that the judge ordered him to accomplish by the deadline assigned then they could get custody back. You say he is "wanted" does that mean he has not been found guilty?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 06:16 PM

What is he being charged for ? Why doesn't he take responsibility for it ?
    Also just being charged with a crime isn't reason enough to deny a child a parent but a conviction is. Those are worlds apart.

Nov 18, 2008, 09:30 PM
    He was convicted of a felony. After spending some time in prison, he was let out on probation. He is currently wanted because he skipped out on his probation. Vermont law says that if a parent has been convicted of a felony, this is grounds for termination of parental rights. He won't go back to take responsibility for his actions because he does not want to go back to prison.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2008, 05:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by abl0918 View Post
    He was convicted of a felony. after spending some time in prison, he was let out on probation. he is currently wanted because he skipped out on his probation. vermont law says that if a parent has been convicted of a felony, this is grounds for termination of parental rights. he won't go back to take responsibility for his actions because he does not want to go back to prison.

If they do any background check at all he will not get custody - he's a felon with an open warrant.

Further, it does the child no good if your brother DOES get custody, then gets picked up again, then the child goes back into the custody of CPS.

I think Vermont is pretty clear on this - convicted felons can't get custody and he's a convicted felon, doesn't matter where.

If he can't take responsibility for his own life I question his ability to take proper care of a child - and I'm not criticizing you. I know he's your brother but if you look at this situation it's pretty cut and dried.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 19, 2008, 05:44 AM
    MAYBE, if the Felony was a long ago thing and there was enough evidence as to how good a father he might be, a judge might show leniency. But as it stands now, you really have to be kidding. He is a convicted felon who violated parole and has an outstanding warrant. He's lucky VT doesn't extradite him.

I say, no way, is a judge going to ignore or overrule the law in his case.

Maybe, if he voluntarily turns himself in to the other state and serves his time, he might, one day get rights. But not now.

Nov 19, 2008, 08:42 AM

"If he can't take responsibility for his own life I question his ability to take proper care of a child"

I agree with you. In attempt to be 'political' about the situation, I did not say whether I wanted my brother to get custody. Clearly this is an issue where my opinion does not matter and will be left up to a judge.

"If they do any background check at all he will not get custody - he's a felon with an open warrant."

So therein lies my issue. They HAVE done a background check and are well aware that he is a felon with an open warrant. But, they have never mentioned that because of this he would not be able to get custody of his child. I am not saying whether I think he should get custody, but if they know that they would never grant him custody because of his open warrant for a felony then I feel like they are giving him false hope by telling him to do a laundry list of things to work towards getting his child back.

He is lucky Vermont doesn't extradite him. The police in state where he is wanted are well aware of where he is and have made it clear that they will not pay to have him extradited. The only way he will get picked up is if he goes back to that state - which he is not planning on doing.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 19, 2008, 09:54 AM

Its possible that the level this case has reached, the people involved don't have the ability to make a decision. But once it gets to someone who can it will be denied.

Nov 19, 2008, 02:26 PM

I want to thank everyone for your input. After reading all of your responses I got in touch with my brother and stressed that he should ask his lawyer about this. He met with his lawyer today and she told him that he would not be able to get custody of his son. I think he took it well, and at least he knows now that he doesn't have to keep 'jumping through hoops' and he can focus on getting his life in order now. Hopefully my parents will be granted custody soon so that my nephew is no longer in foster care.

Dec 23, 2008, 11:03 AM
    So, and update on the situation. Apparently now the mother of the child is pretty much out of the picture now. But DCF is telling my brother his open warrant will not affect his ability to get custody of his child.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by abl0918 View Post
    So, and update on the situation. Apparently now the mother of the child is pretty much out of the picture now. but DCF is telling my brother his open warrant will not affect his ability to get custody of his child.
    Thank you for coming back and letting us know. We all appreciate it greatly.

Dec 23, 2008, 02:57 PM
    What I don't understand is that my brother's lawyer told him that with his open warrant for a felony in a different state would prevent him from having a judge ever grant him custody of his child. But DCF is telling him that judges grant custody of children to parents in worse situations than he is in, and that his open warrant shouldn't be an issue. Who should he believe? He has a lot of mental illnesses, and this false hope could be very dangerous.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving up hope [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are trying to get pregnant and have been trying to conceive for over a year. I have very irregular periods and they usually only come every six months. I was wondering do you ovulate without having an actual period. My family doctor says you can but I always have heard different. I...

Giving little brother a handjob? [ 19 Answers ]

Is it okay for an older sis to give her little bro a handjob? Please try not to ask why... a little because of self confidence purposes... =)

After my break up my ex-boyfriend sister is giving me hope! What should I do? [ 8 Answers ]

Good day Everyone! It would really be appreciate to get some response on this matter :) So here is the story! My boyfriend broke up with me last week but after all it was a mutual decision! We had different things going on in our lifes and at the end weren't happy together... As for me......

False hope [ 20 Answers ]

As the title suggests. I wanted to started a discussion about giving or receiving false hope when dumping or being dumped. Personally, I think this is the worst you can do to a person you don't want to be with anymore; When breaking up, dumpers often say "innocent" things, like in my case: "never...

View more questions Search