Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phillylou Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 10:31 AM
    How do you know if your CD burner is working properly?
    I recently installed Roxio 10 and was burning CDRs fine until recently, when some of the burned CDRs were coming out with "bumps" or scratching sounds, other times an error message came up telling me that the burn could not be completed and to try another disc, and other times the disc stayed stuck in the tray necessitating me to shut down and reboot to be able to reopen the tray and remove the disc. I've tried different brands of CD, but no difference. In fact, it is getting worse - I had been able to get one good CD for every 3 attempts, but now I can't get any to come out right. I had burned with Windows Media Player and Real Player in the past, and an earlier version of Roxio before that, and have always had some problems with disc qulaity, but not to this extent. It seems like a hardware problem, but I'm not positive.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2008, 10:38 AM

It's the hardware, not the software. Get another burner. I got a combo CD/DVD burner/reader and find it great!
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2008, 10:44 AM

If you know the make of the burner you can check to see if there is a firmware update to your burner. This helps the burner to burn basically. If the firmware does not do the trick then you might need a new burner. Just out of curiosity what brand of blanks are you using? The best brand to buy is Taiyo Yuden.
    phillylou Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 06:14 PM

I use whatever is on sale - Memorex, Ativa, Sony - not the higher end stuff. It shouldn't have been making that much a difference, though. What I really need to do is go digital.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Apartment A/c not working properly [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I don't know if you can help me, I need advice. I live in a apartment complex that has their own maintenance men. I recently had a problem with my air conditioner not cooling properly and ran constantly. It was cooling but not enough so I called the office and they sent someone to...

Ac unit not working properly [ 1 Answers ]

We set our thermostat on 70 and by 12 noon it reads 80 degrees. The air that comes out of the vents is very low pressure, like there is a blockage. The maintenance crew has worked on it several times, but no improvement. The air stays on all day and night and only starts to shut off and on at...

So my CD Burner isn't working... [ 7 Answers ]

I've tried lots of places online, and thought I'd give this place a shot. :) Ever since I got a new 80 Gig drive, my Yamaha cd burner/computer hasn't been working properly... I know it still works, and isn't the burner that isn't working right, since the light's still on, and it can open and...

Address bar not working properly [ 2 Answers ]

I am running windows XP and I have the address bar sitting underneath my start bar. It has been working perfectly until just recently. Now when I type in "cmd" it tries to open up the webpage "http://cmd/" rather than just opening up the command prompt window. I don't know why it has started...

View more questions Search