Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lil Dude Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 06:52 AM
    Banging in walls under the tub
    Hello,

I have just bought my first home and have found that I need to make some repairs. I have never been a handyman, but given the money I have just spent I want to try in order to save money (assuming the repairs are not too difficult).

One my biggest problems involves our upstairs bathroom. Any time we use the tub we hear a loud banging or knocking in the wall under the tub for about an hour afterwards.

Any advice what could be causing this and how easy (or difficult) it might be to repair. Any advice would be most welcome.

Thank you in advance
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 18, 2008, 06:55 AM
    One my biggest problems involves our upstairs bathroom. Any time we use the tub we hear a loud banging or knocking in the wall under the tub for about an hour afterwards.
    Any advice what could be causing this and how easy (or difficult) it might be to repair. Any advice would be most welcome.
    Knocking, popping, creaking and crackling pipes are a common complaint, especially in colder weather. I can tell you what's happening and take the mystery out of it but you're not going to like the repair. When a draw is made on a hot water line the line expands against a pipe strap next to a stud and when you drain hot water from your tub or shower it goes into a chase that is a little cooler then room temperature. The heat expands the pipe causing it to rub against the stud to which it is pipe strapped. This is the sound you hear. As it cools it contracts and the noise is heard again. To repair it you must tear open the walls and locate the pipe strap that's causing the problem and shim it tight. Most people when they learn what causes it just elect to live with it. Regards and thanks for rating my answer. Tom Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Banging pipes [ 2 Answers ]

I had a new tap fitting installed. None of the pipework was touched. Since then, every time I turn the tap on it starts banging. Can I solve this myself or do I need a plumber?

Banging noise [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced a part in the shower and now get a banging noise

Banging BR Pipes [ 2 Answers ]

We have an upstairs bathroom. Basement = hot water tank, BR = 2nd story. Pipes bang when water in BR is turned off and on. Lately, they have been growling when the toilet is flushed and the water ina faucet is running at the same time. What is causing?

Banging Pipes [ 2 Answers ]

Why do the pipes make a loud banging sound every time the toilet is flused or hot water turned off from a faucet? :confused:

Banging pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I have read a lot about people with pipes that bang when they first turn them on, but I have a bit of a different problem. When I turn on either the cold or hot in the kitchen, there is no pressure at all. The water will come out in a small stream or not at all. I then will turn on and off the...

View more questions Search