Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    etannero Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Stopped up tub
    My tub won't drain and when I run water in the bathroom sink it backs up into the tub. Can someone help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 16, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by etannero View Post
    My tub won't drain and when I run water in the bathroom sink it backs up into the tub. Can someone help.
    You have a clog downstream from the tie in point of the lavatory and the tub that has to be snaked and cleared. This can be accomplished from two places.
    1) from the lavatory roof vent. Put out enough cable to reach the vase and 15 feet more. **or**
    2) Snake from the tub waste and overflow,(see image). Unscrew and remove the overflow plate,(The one with the drain lever) and pull out the tub stopper. You now have a clear shot at the trap. The way you were going in through the drain it ran you square into a tee that you can't get around. Now feed the cable( 1/4" best or 3/3" with a small tip. You can rent a Ridgid K50 sink cable.) About 2' down you will run into the bend of the trap. Crank and push at the same time to work around it. Your blockage will be found in the lateral pipe going to the stack. You shouldn't have to put out more then 10 or 12 feet. I have found tub and shower clogs to be mostly hair and the worm should auger into it and pull it back. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply. TOM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kirkland Signature, by whirlpool; Dryer stopped heating and timer stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kirkland Signature, by whirlpool Dryer that stopped heating and timer stopped working at the same time. What may have caused this?

A/C Fan Stopped [ 4 Answers ]

My A/C fan stopped. Only warm air is blowing through vents. After reading several posts, I am unsure of what to replace. How can I determine weather I need to replace the condenser fan run capacitor and the contactor or the condenser fan motor. Thanks

Stopped up tub. [ 1 Answers ]

I can't get my tub to drain even after I used an entire bottle of draino. I think that it is the drain stop control that has broken. How do I check it?

Tub stopped up [ 4 Answers ]

I've got a problem with my tub being stopped up. We just recently moved into a new apartment that for some unknown does not have any type of cover or anything in the bath tub. Anyway yesterday my son took his bath and then the tub cover that I had been using slid over and allowed a wash cloth to...

View more questions Search