Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MTColl28734 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2008, 01:04 PM
    My sink SHOULD drain, but.
    I've run a fish tape (all I had handy) through every pipe associated with my kitchen sink: vent pipe, trap, feed into main house drain, the whole bit. Found some gunk, especially where the drain pipe takes a sharp 90 degree turn in the crawl space, but no solid blockage. Tried plunging it three times. Filled the sink with what I figure was at least a gallon of water and let it rip. Drained like a champ. The second gallon drained fine until the water level was 1/4" or so in the sink, then it stopped. And now so am I.

No other drain in the house is blocked, so I am totally lost. I've thought about some dynamite, but it's hard to get and the collateral damage could be a problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm tired of taking dishes into the shower with me.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2008, 01:27 PM

You have a partial blockage in the horizontal drain line in the wall that won't allow the water to drain.
    The solution would be to remove the "J" bend from the trap and send a snake up into the wall, (see image) You will hit a bend about 8 inches in but once around that you only have to put out 6 feet more. After, flush with a tub of hot water, Good Luck.

John
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 15, 2008, 08:12 PM

Afaroo is right: your clog is deeper than length of the snake you used. Snake it few feet more...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 16, 2008, 06:10 AM
    In addition to all the good advice let ne say that a electricians fish tape is just too small to clean out anything. It will simply punch through a clog without breaking it up. You need to get a regular drain snake. Good luck, Tom
    MTColl28734 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2008, 04:24 AM
    Thanks for the input, guys. The blockage wasn't anywhere near the drain; it was 10-15 feet downline, in the long pipe that joins the sink to the main drain. I took my garden hose and sprayed it into the long pipe where I'd cut it Saturday. I then bought my shiny new snake into the pipe and pulled it out quickly. Sure enough, all manner of crud came out. Voilą! A clean drain.

I also have three new cleanouts where there weren't any before. I put rubber sleeves with hose clamps over the places where I'd cut the pipe.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 17, 2008, 06:10 AM
    Thanks for keeping us up to date. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting to 1 1/2" copper drain with pvc kitchen sink drain trap [ 8 Answers ]

I'm trying to rehook up the kitchen sink pvc trap to the old copper drain pipe but the connector doesn't fit tight enough and the water links out. Any ideas how to stop this leak?

Relocating Sink Drain/Vent to Dedicated Stack Serving Kitchen Sink & Dishwasher [ 3 Answers ]

I am relocating an upstairs vanity sink from one wall to another (also going from single to double bowl). Rather than relocate the drain and vent pipe, I am hoping that I can tie into a 1-1/2" copper vent pipe that is located right behind the vanities intended location. The copper vent pipe is from...

Hooking a Utility Sink in basement to Kithcen sink drain [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to install a utility sink in the basement and have attached a drawing illustrating the current piping and proposed attachment. Basically, the kitchen sink drain goes directly into a drain in the basement floor via a 1-1/2" steel pipe, which is tied to the sewer system. I'd like to put a...

Outgoing Drain Behind Vanity Cabinet Not Aligned with Sink Drain Tube in New Sinktop [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a new vanity cabinet and new marble vanity top, both slightly larger than the originals. The problem we've encountered is that the drainage pipe that will exit sink water from the sink to the house -- the PVC pipe in the house/wall -- is not aligned with the new location of the sink...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

View more questions Search