Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunshineangel Posts: 43, Reputation: 7

Nov 15, 2008, 10:30 AM
    Physics Force
    I know that there are 6000J of work in this problem because I solved it using Potential Energy. I did (20kg)(30m)(10m/s^2)=6000J

I have a can of toys that weighs 20kg and it is dropped 30m and makes an indent in the sand below .402m. I am supposed to find the force the sand exerts on the can of toys. How?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2008, 06:29 PM

You can use F = ma and your suvat equations to work out the force that must have decelerated the can of toys in such a distance. Please ask further questions if you don't understand!

Nov 15, 2008, 07:01 PM

But all that's going to be is the mass of the can of toys and the acceleration would be change of velocity over the time interval. Yet I know neither the velocity or the time Also that does not include the dent of .402m the can of toys left in the sand. Still a bit confused. Thanks!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 04:29 AM

You know the acceleration, and the distance dropped, and the velocity at the beginning of the drop. From these you can work out both the time taken and the final velocity using suvat.

Nov 16, 2008, 11:43 AM

Thank you very much I had not been introduced to suvat and I looked it up on Yahoo. Very, very helpful in solving this problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Confederate air force/ Commemorative air force [ 5 Answers ]

Are Lefty Gardner and Lloyd Nolan still alive? If so where can I find good information on the start of the Confederate Air force on line. There is a lot of info on the new Commemorative Air force, but very little on the old.

Net Force [ 1 Answers ]

A 5 kg ball has been thrown vertically upward. If we ignore the air resistance, what are the direction and size of the net force acting on the ball while it is traveling upward?

Force law [ 1 Answers ]

3 children tuuging rubber tube ,one exert force of 40 N , another force of 30 N, and a third a force of 50 N. What is the net horizontal force on the tube?

Physics Problems ! (work= Distance * Force) [ 2 Answers ]

A force of 825 N is needed to push a car across a lot. Two student push the car 35 m . How much work is done? After a rainstorm, the force needed to push the car doubled because the ground became soft . By what amount does the work done by the students change ?

View more questions Search