Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Nov 14, 2008, 08:10 AM
    Can I load a circuit with particular bulbs in mind?
    Hi there again everyone,

I'm setting up a living room and as had been discussed in this forum earlier, was told that a single circuit would be sufficient for a standard living room with my dimensions. It was also stated that 13 outlets(counting both light fixtures and recepts) would be the limitation on a 20a circuit.

My problem is I hate feeling like I'm in a cave and I dislike protruding fixtures in low(8 ft) ceilings, so I almost always use can lights except for task lighting. Can lighting doesn't have a wide arc, so I normally space them 40" apart in either direction. In this application, that adds up to 18 lights :eek:

That of course exceeds the limitation for even a dedicated circuit, if I follow the guidelines stated in the other thread, however I plan on using the new fluorescent 13w dimmable flood replacements that are in stores.

Can I set up a circuit taking into account the bulbs I plan to use? This seems suspect because of the potential for problems for future owners, however theoretically, there's absolutely no issue with conjoining 195 watts of lighting onto my current living circuit. I could even loop the source into a handybox in the basement ceiling for future splitting from the current circuit if I ever needed to, if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Json
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 14, 2008, 08:41 AM

Are you speaking of compact fluorescent lights?

You must first make sure that the can lights can use these bulbs. Then you should consider the wattage need by each can. That will determine the total load for these lights.

Next you have to install the lights properly avoiding insulation if that is a requirement of the can's manufacturer.

Finally, you are not limited to one circuit per room. If you are going to have a Home Entertainment system in that room you may actually want to add one or two independent circuits to accommodate the extra loads of such a center.

I certainly agree that normally one general lighting circuit that accommodate general use outlets is fine.
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Nov 14, 2008, 09:33 AM

Hi there Don,

I'm aware that code does not limit the max number of circuits in a room, that's the circuit panel's job :) Although I would love to have a dedicated circuit for only the lighting, a very finite number of open spaces in the panel require that I try my best to be frugal in my allocation of circuits. Going by previous instruction, the lighting exceeds even a dedicated circuit, if simply counting outlets. It would however be a complete waste of a circuit to dedicate one for 195 watts of lighting. The rub comes from the potential of a future owner replacing the bulbs with something other than the bulbs I intended. That's what I'm wondering about.

Thanks,
    Json
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2008, 03:44 PM
    This is a lighting circuit, and can be designed to have a load up to 1440 watts for a 15 amp circuit, or 1920 watts for a 20amp circuit, and not be concerned with too many outlets. If a 20 amp circuit, use 20 amp switches and #12 wire.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Nov 14, 2008, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    This is a lighting circuit, and can be designed to have a load up to 1440 watts for a 15 amp circuit, or 1920 watts for a 20amp circuit.
    I agree!
    Assured Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by schwim View Post
    Hi there again everyone,

I'm setting up a living room and as had been discussed in this forum earlier, was told that a single circuit would be sufficient for a standard living room with my dimensions. It was also stated that 13 outlets(counting both light fixtures and recepts) would be the limitation on a 20a circuit.

My problem is I hate feeling like I'm in a cave and I dislike protruding fixtures in low(8 ft) ceilings, so I almost always use can lights except for task lighting. Can lighting doesn't have a wide arc, so I normally space them 40" apart in either direction. In this application, that adds up to 18 lights :eek:

That of course exceeds the limitation for even a dedicated circuit, if I follow the guidelines stated in the other thread, however I plan on using the new flourescent 13w dimmable flood replacements that are in stores.

Can I set up a circuit taking into account the bulbs I plan to use? This seems suspect because of the potential for problems for future owners, however theoretically, there's absolutely no issue with conjoining 195 watts of lighting onto my current living circuit. I could even loop the source into a handybox in the basement ceiling for future splitting from the current circuit if I ever needed to, if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.

thanks,
    json

I believe you are looking for an answer to your question.
    When installing can lights, you MUST use the maximum wattage allowed in the fixture for determining the circuit load, not the bulbs you plan to use.
    What size room is this by the way? A 15'x15' room only needs 4- 6" cans to light it up well.
    Put them in a square pattern with 1/2 the space between the lights and 1/4 of the space on the outside of each light.
    Can lights in attic space with insulation must be IC rated for the heat factor.
    I only use 6" cans because they work well and give plenty of light with a lower amount of fixtures per sqft. And they have a great arc pattern using flood lamps, not spot.
    You were speaking of your panel spaces available. What type panel is this? Brand name? Catalog number?
    Many panels allow for tandem breakers (2 in the space for 1 standard breaker). This may be an option for you.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 22, 2008, 09:42 AM

If you are concerned with decreased light footprints, consider using flood light bulbs instead of normal lighting bulbs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

15 amp outlet on 20 amp circuit and load [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 20A circuit that currently has 15A outlets on it. Currently, only my fridge (11.5A) and another outlet is on this circuit. Q1: If I connect 15A outlets in a series with 12/2, does that effectively lower the rating of the rest circuit to 15A? Can I wire in this as this example...

Circuit load [ 2 Answers ]

Will a new LCD 52 inch Sony TV plus a receiver and DVD player overload a 15 amp circuit?

Household Circuit Load [ 8 Answers ]

A carpenter recently added (2) can-lights to an outdoor porch with an on-at-dust-off-at-dawn sensor attached to them. The problem is the single porch light on the house and can-lights under the porch won't work together. That is, either the can-lights are ON or the porch light is ON, not both (cans...

Lighting Circuit Blowing Bulbs [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in the process of repairing a DJ light system with a knackered transformer. It was causing the internal fuses to blow, so I've replaced the transformer, but it's now taken to blowing the bulbs within it. I'm guessing this is due to too high a voltage, or too much current flowing, but I...

15 amp circuit load [ 1 Answers ]

Will a 15 amp circuit safely handle a 2000 watt resistance heater?

View more questions Search