Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    jmac1270's Avatar
    jmac1270 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 13, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Changing Sons last name
    Dear Reader,
    I have been Divorced for more then two years now. We have shared parenting in Ohio where I have custody every other Friday Sat and Most of Sunday. I also have him every other Wedsday. I have always paid my child support. I have never missed anytimes to be with my son. I am not spiteful to my former in anyway and try to work with her when ever possible if there is an issue. Recently I requested his records from Kinder garten to notice that she has Registered him under her Last name. His birth certificate clearly has my last name as well as the divorce decree documents have his name as being my last name. I have seen school paperwork that he has that also is showing him signing his last name as hers with mine no where to be found. IS there a way to force her to register him under his real last name? Not only does this anger me a bit but I feel like she is going to cause him some confusion that doesn't need to be there later in life. :eek:
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Nov 13, 2008, 12:53 PM

    You can try taking this issue to family court, but I'm not sure you will win. The judge may order her to use his legal name or he may not.
    macksmom's Avatar
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

    Nov 13, 2008, 02:33 PM

    As long as there is no intent of fraud, the child can use whichever last name he wishes. Of course his "legal" last name is yours.

    As Scott said, you could try to take her to court but it could back fire and the judge could allow the mother to legally change the child's last name to her maiden name.

    Do understand, that in order for her to legally change his last name, she would need written consent from you unless otherwise ordered by a judge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing my sons' last name [ 1 Answers ]

I have custody of my 2 sons. My husband has taken care of them and supported them for 2 years. I need to find out if I can change there last name to mine. In my divorce papers from their father, it says I have the right to make all the decisions. Does that include changing their names?

Changing sons last name [ 2 Answers ]

I have an 8 year old son whom I have sole custody of. My son and myself would like to change his last name back to mine. I gave him his dads last name, we were never married. I was 19 and my sons dad was a little on the violent side, so I didn't want to fight about it so I just gave my son his last...

Changing my sons last name [ 2 Answers ]

What do I have to do so my son can have the same last name as me and his father, we weren't married when I had him so I just my maiden name:confused:

Changing My Sons Name? [ 1 Answers ]

How would I and my wife change her sons name if he was born in the Philippines? He will be getting his Green card soon, so does that make us able to change his name here? Or would we still have to get this done in the philippines? :confused: we are a bit confused on how we should do this.. please...

Changing my sons last name [ 3 Answers ]

My son is now 7 months old and his father abandoned us right before christmas I was wondering I need to change his last name back to mine and not his looser fathers do I need a lawer to do that because he will not sign the papers or can I do it by myself

View more questions Search